Chapter Four

"You good?" Maria raised an eyebrow as Jane trudged through the doorway. 

"Yeah, it's just been a long day at work." She sighed and sat down at their dinner table. 

"Same, who knew that everyone would seem to come to the cafe today. And there were so many obnoxious customers; it was so annoying," she whined. "No matter how many times you ask it doesn't change the fact that we have almond milk and not soy!" 

Jane laughed despite being tired. "My day was just busy, exciting but busy. Do you know that show, Designer Houses?" When Maria nodded, she continued. "Well they wanted our company to be featured on their show!" 

Her eyes widened. "No way! That's huge!" 

"I know right!" Jane said suddenly having a bit more energy even after the long day. "It was so exciting, but because of it we were all so busy!"

"I'm guessing neither of us feel like cooking tonight?" 

"You want to get the usual?" 

"Of course!" 

~~~~

Thirty minutes later they were sitting around the table with the best Indian food in the city. And a cup of Chai Maria made with the tea bags at home. 

"How do they get the samosas this good?" Jane whined, yet her insides felt like melting due to their deliciousness. 

"I don't know! We've tried so many recipes but they never turn out just like these." Maria also whined, it was a normal occurrence between the two of them. 

"If I get married it would be nice to find someone who likes to cook. Then we wouldn't be ordering out every time we felt too tired to cook, which is most nights." 

"But then we wouldn't eat as much Indian food." 

Jane nodded. "You make a good point." 

"So what's up with Tao? Teo? Tyrone?" 

"Theo. Aka The Big T. I still don't get the name." 

"Meh, not weirder than mine." 

"Yeah because 'QueerQueenMari' is odd." 

"True, it's iconic." 

"Anyways, Theo was surprisingly... nice?" 

She nodded. "Just like me." 

"Of course!"  

"You said he went to your school?" 

"To be honest I don't remember much of high school but according to the yearbook, yes." 

"I wish we could have gone to high school together. You actually have fun memories. My school smelled like garbage and mold." 

Jane laughed. "He was in yearbook club with Jessica. They seemed close from the photo I saw. He also follows her socials." 

"I do trust Jessica's judgement." 

"You think she's hot." 

"And you don't?" 

"Moving on!" Maria rolled her eyes and Jane continued. "He's a photographer and he did talk about himself a lot. Which I'd say is good because at least he's not super mysterious. He's an open book, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future he told me his credit card number." 

"Jane nobody remembers their credit card number." 

"Anyways, I think it also explains why he reached out to me. He's very outgoing!" 

"Yeah he actually tried to have a conversation with me. Most customers either pretend I don't exist or just give a quick thank you. Except for the some very stupid guys who try to flirt with me. Like dude I am so gay, are you blind." 

Jane studied her friend and couldn't help but agree. Maria was the definition of butch. With short hair and flannel, oh lots of flannel. Her ears had numerous piercings and she had a tattoo just below her shoulder and usually wore beat up blue jeans and tennis shoes. Not only that but she was buff, like super ripped. Her abs were so defined it made Jane very very very jealous. She was the definition of a gay stereotype: short hair, flannel, masculine. And while it annoyed Maria that she was the exact person someone would picture when they would think of a queer woman, these were the things that made Maria her. It wasn't her problem that she looked like the stereotypes, the real problem was that the stereotypes existed in the first place.  

"At least they don't follow stereotypes?" 

"Don't say that, it makes me respect them more." 

Jane snickered. "Moving on again! I looked up the photography place where he works, and it's only a couple blocks from the cafe. Not only that but it features the work of it's artists and his is really good. There was also one on the front with him holding a baby. They were so cute!" 

"That's good. Holding children is always a good sign. I also like him, he tipped." 

Jane laughed again. "Yeah, I don't trust him fully yet, he is a stranger who DMed me. But I think as long as we keep meeting up in public places it won't be unsafe."  

"Cool! You have to tell me what happens. I'm very interested in this fake dating charade." 

"Yes yes I know it's your favorite webcomic trope." 

"Well if you fall in love you know why." 

"I swear!" 

"What? It happens all the time!" 

"In media?" 

"Yes."  

"You really don't see the problem here?"

She shrugged. "Not really." 

"Ugh," she cleared her plate and made her way towards her bedroom. "I'm going to bed. See you in the morning I suppose." 

"Goodnight!" Maria called after her. "But you should still read the webcomic! It's really good! And it's sapphic." She said the last words in a sing songy tune. 

Jane hated how easily she could be bought with any form of representation. She got in the shower and let the hot water stream down her back. It was going to be a long long week.