Chapter 10: Lightning

Finally a thing Lightning was good at: Flying. It was harder than she thought to fly with a human hanging on to her neck. After all, she was a dragonet. It was very uncomfortable to have little talons gripping her scales. Squinting through the glare of the sun, Lightning dived. They had reached the cave of the MoonWings. There were twin mint green and violet guards standing watch outside the magnificent cave. They had silver spears that glistened like teeth. Lightning approached them in awe. Could this be? The dragon that sent the omen? Lightning wondered why the MoonWings did this to them, and hoped that someone could explain it. Sadly, Lighting couldn't find the dragon with the crooked snout, and thought it would be silly for MoonWings to have gray and brown colors. She thought that these could be the StoneWings, who had emeralds and sapphires embedded into their scales.. Unconsciously she bowed to them. The StoneWing raised his eyebrows puzzled. Oops... Lightning thought sheepishly. She guessed that they didn't want her to do that. The StoneWings surveyed Lightning with their dull gray eyes.

 "What are you doing here?" One guard finally said.

 "I am here to find a MoonWing". Lightning tilted her head so the guards wouldn't see Eagle. 

"Name" said the same guard.

 He pulled out a long wooden scroll from a stone pouch that was hung around his neck. 

"Er... Well.... Um..you see, I don't know his name but he has a crooked snout, emerald earring, and a half horn". 

The StoneWing looked at her like she had just turned into a cactus. The other guard dissolved in laughter. 

"You see, the emerald rank of MoonWings ALWAYS have emerald earrings. Usually all of the Great Seers have crooked snouts. Also, A TON OF MOONWINGS HAVE LOST HALF OF THEIR HORNS IN BATTLE!!"

 Lightning stuttered, " H-he sent an omen and I need to find him. He sent a storm and then I dreamed and then I suddenly knew..." she trailed off. The StoneWings' eyes softened just a little bit. He nodded at his companion and they pushed open the cave doors. Lightning gasped. The cave looked five times bigger and more beautiful inside. Everywhere she looked she saw treasure. The StormWings never had anything like this.  

She started forward but then suddenly the guard asked "What's on your back?" 

Lightning froze. She had forgotten about Eagle