Chapter 1

My first thought, as I gazed down at the rapidly descending airport, was uncontrollable relief: Heathrow Airport had provided me with an escape from the painfully superficial life I had been living for the past few years.

Inside the plane, I was surrounded by couples. Most were young with families, and a few were elderly, which I unfathomably found comfort in.

With regards to myself, the love life I have always been yearning for was non-existent. Perhaps, in the eyes of all men, I was simply not alluring enough to get to second base with.

A family is a joyous type of plan I have found myself wishing for ever since I was all but 18. However, the only thing I have been longing for more than that is a significant other. I needed someone who knew how to love someone like me unconditionally. I have yet to find myself in a passionate relationship.

My mind churned thinking of my biological family's reaction; the parents who had wanted me to stay alone and glued to their side for the remainder of the unforeseeable future. It was only more reason to break out from the clutches of my family's protectiveness and strike out on my own. The whole point of this move had very little to do with having a better career. Unlike the opinion of others, I myself believed that teaching was an impactful job, one that bettered the future generation of children. Money was only significant for basic human needs, as well as having a decent enough house to reside in.

There was only one reason for my desire for a fresh start... love. Finding that "perfect" someone was never that simple for me. I have devoted myself towards earning a teaching degree and pleasing the family for my own sake and theirs, so it was my own fault for never giving any passing stranger the time of day. Frankly, I've had quite enough of putting someone else before me.

I had barely registered the plane's landing. My cluster of thoughts had kept me occupied. I sprung out of my seat more widely than I had planned. Paying no mind to the onlookers giving me strange looks, I lifted my suitcase and joined the line forming to be freed from the stuffy method of transport. My brain only concentrated on the impending event of me walking my very first steps into Heathrow.

********

As soon as everyone had disbanded, my feet leaped from their strained walking position, and I dashed like an unhinged maniac towards the exit of the airport. My choice of clothing turned out to be poor when the weather came into view. The translucent-paned windows of the airport were heavily stained by raindrops. I had taken a chance with the weather as well as deciding on a sleeveless white crop-top and a pair of ribbon-tied shorts. But as of then, that was only a minor hindrance to me.

I was in Heathrow by myself, which was exactly how I had wanted it to begin. The next phase of my excitement was reaching the cabin I had rented out online.

Stepping out into the chilly, butchering weather of England was the most euphoric feeling I had  experienced in a long time. I allowed the rain to swallow my carefully brushed fawn hair, tied up in a loose bun until it was soaked to the brim. Eventually, I realised that my euphoria would quickly transform into hypothermia if I stayed there like a frozen popsicle for much longer.

Seeing a slick-black vehicle coming to a halt in front of me, my wettened face unveiled a casual smile as I slipped inside along with my suitcase.

My meek voice mumbled: "Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, Yellow Iris cottage." The driver in front of me nodded but didn't utter a single word to which I was content with, and rested my head against the black-leather seat. The view speeding across my eyes was remarkable. I never had the privilege of seeing new places or countries outside of living in the countryside in Winslow, Arizona.