five

The group of five pushed the herd through the plains, they left civilization when they cross the main stem of the river. "I saw a good pasture a little out west," Elsa spoke up once the herd was all settled, 

Wade shook his head, "Nah, we're gonna hide 'em in the canyon up North." 

"Hide 'em?" Elsa chuckled, "From who?" 

"Bandits," the one word leaving Ennis's mouth sent chills down Elizabeth's spine. Memories of the night in the hotel and the river bank just outside of town flashed behind Elizabeth's eyes, she'd encountered more than enough bandits for her liking. And knowing that out here, the law won't save you, made the hairs on Elizabeth's neck stand up. 

"What kind of bandits are out here?" Elsa asked with another chuckle,

"Every kind," Wesley then spoke up with Wade speaking up after him, 

"The kind that'll steal your bed roll with you in it," 

Ennis looked between the two sisters before speaking, "Y'all don't go nowhere alone, okay?" 

"Y'all talk to my daddy yet about what we're gonna do when we stop for camp?" Elizabeth asked. Things were tense with her father for a few days after their fight, and Elizabeth could hold a grudge like her mother, so James spoke with his daughter to make things right. He knew he acted irrationally, the stress of the whole journey so far had just piled up on top of him in addition to his other daughter already courting, and he snapped at her wrongfully. 

"Yeah, he's the one who suggested the canyon," Wade then trotted off with Wesley behind them, "Hold 'em here. I'm gon' hunt some high ground, take a look 'round." Elizabeth sent one nod of understanding to the cowboy as he left. 

They stood with the herd, keepin' their guard up so they wouldn't be surprised by anything. Elizabeth scratched her eyebrow with her pointer finger, her face felt disgusting with the dust and sweat caked on her face, and her arms felt the same way. Ennis had given Elsa his extra jacket to help protect her arms from the sun, Elizabeth didn't have one leaving her arms with a tan just like her cheeks. 

"You smell like a goat," Margaret's voice reached Elizabeth's ears as her mother came up next to her and Elsa on her horse. 

"I was gonna  bathe in the river but, Ennis said this is bandit country and not to go anywhere alone." Elsa spoke up, 

"Sounds like Ennis is hinting at a bath with you," Margaret scoffed looking at her blonde-headed daughter,

"He didn't suggest a bath," Elsa was quick to snap back. Elizabeth rolled her eyes at the two, she did agree though, they smelt like farm animals. She was itchin' to get herself clean, who knows when they'll come across another river. Elizabeth adjusted on her saddle as Elsa and her momma talked about Elsa havin' kissed Ennis and what's beyond kissing. 

"I say we kill two birds with one stone, come on." Margaret on her horse turned away to trot to the river, snapping Elizabeth from her trance just watching the cattle. "You too Elizabeth," 

Elizabeth sighed and gave Elsa a 'you caused this' look before following after her mother. Letting her hair free from its braid and removing her garments, Elizabeth stepped into the cool river water. She let out a sigh as the river washed away the dirt and sorrow of the past. She let her head dip back and soak her hair in the water, she hadn't let her hair down in what felt like years. The soap her momma had given her to wash the remaining dirt the water couldn't felt like heaven. She was letting the soap rinse in the water when her momma spoke,

"I envy you girls," Elizabeth looked at her momma when she spoke, "Becoming a woman out here. No rules, worries, or whispers about what you should do. There's no such thing as freedom girls, don't let anyone tell you different. There's laws, rules, and customs everywhere. The more people you can cram together,  the more rules there'll be. I don't know what life is like in Oregon, but there will be rules there too." Elizabeth noticed the faraway look in her momma's eyes as she continued, "This trail, is as free as you'll ever be. The only rules you need to follow, are the ones in your heart."