Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“You punched him in the face?!” asked an incredulous Sungae as he laughed uncontrollably.

“Of course I did! He said I was fat!”, retorted Sooyoung.

The two were on the couch reminiscing about their adolescent days in another of their quality chatting sessions that they made sure to have as often as possible. Over the past two months, the pair had learned a lot about each other and gotten a lot closer than before. They were able to speak to each other comfortably like friends and it was clear that they enjoyed each other’s company.

Sooyoung had been recounting an incident where a noble’s son had insulted her when she was 13. Evidently, that had not gone well for the kid.

“What did your parents say?”, asked Sungae.

“I was beaten that night by my parents. I cried so much,” replied Sooyoung.
Sungae was about to say something to comfort her, to tell her she was right but Sooyoung continued before he could speak.

“But then at night, my father secretly came to me and told me he was proud of me. He said I was truly his daughter for standing up for myself,” said Sooyoung softly.

Sungae watched as she turned her wistful expression towards him, a small smile on her face as the memory played itself in her mind.

“I was so happy that father recognized me, my tears turned from sadness to joy. From that night, I never let anyone push me over,” said Sooyoung as she finished.

That small yet fiery determination within her voice and eyes brought a smile to Sungae’s face. He liked that about her. That stubbornness and determination was frowned upon by men in Nilfgaard, but not by Sungae. It was one of the things that made her attractive. That was the spirit of a warrior, and he was glad that he was married to someone that shared that same kindred spirit with him.

A/N: Just a short chapter with Sungjae and Sooyoung getting closer together.