Prologue

"Breaking News: Famous and rising band SEVEN MELODIES announced the unexpected news that their guitarist, Kang Taehyun, is leaving the band. Their fans, called VENDIES, expressed how they were saddened and surprised by the news and were waiting for more details from the band's company."

"So you weren't joking the last time you told me that you want to leave the band?"

Taehyun sighed and smiled. "Yeah. That's why I told you sooner, Jungwon"

Jungwon stood up then picked up the guitar that Taehyun always used and started strumming softly. "Why?"

"Jungwon–"

"What? I just want to know why" The latter chuckled.

"It's personal," Taehyun said.

"Personal, hmm? Love perhaps" Jungwon laughed and stopped playing the guitar. "I understand, hyung"

"Jungwon, you know I really enjoyed performing with you guys but it's just–"

Taehyun couldn't finish his sentence when Jungwon stood in front of him and offered his hand. Taehyun hesitated to accept it so Jungwon grabbed his arm then shook their hands together.

"It's nice working with you, hyung. I guess this is the end and thank you for everything"

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

"He's good, right?"

"Yeah"

"He's fit to the band"

"I agree"

"He also has the looks"

"What are y'all gossiping about?" Jungwon asked as he heard the whispers of his bandmates right after he opened the door, all huddled up in front of the computer, watching something or someone.

The said bandmates immediately spread out and moved away from the computer, looking at him while smiling.

"Now you're staring at me. Weird" Jungwon added.

"Well..." Heeseung started.

"Well what?" Jungwon said, sipping from his drink.

"We're looking for a potential new guitarist," Jake said.

"You know it's hard to play the guitar by myself, Jungwon-ah," Sunghoon added.

"Aren't Sunoo learning the guitar? We don't have to look for one" Jungwon said, like it's not even a big deal.

"It'll take me like a lifetime to learn, Jungwon. I'm just a vocalist alongside Heeseung hyung" Sunoo said.

"I can play the guitar!" Ni-Ki added..

"You're playing the drums forever, Ki" Jake uttered while chuckling.

"We can just try looking for one, Jungwon" Heeseung said.

"Exactly. If we don't look for one, we need to change our name to 'six melodies', right?" Sunghoon said.

"Yeah. Funny" Jungwon bluntly said.

"Why can't you just join us perform again?" Sunoo suggested.

Jungwon was taken aback by the question.

"Sunoo..." Sunghoon softly called him, like a warning not to talk about it.

"I'm sorry, Jungwon-ah! I didn't mean to mention it again" Sunoo quickly said.

"It's okay, Sun," Jungwon replied. "About looking for a guitarist, I'll ask the company"

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Jungwon rushed inside their company because Sunoo kept on calling him a while ago because he needed to see something. A familiar sound coming from the elevator went out, indicating that he arrived on their floor.

He went inside their studio and was flabbergasted by the scene he saw.

All of his bandmates are playing a song— with someone not part of the band.

"Jungwon!" Sunoo was quick to notice him. "Finally you're here"

The guy looked at him so he returned the action by keeping eye contact with him. He wasn't sure what emotion he could see through the man's eyes. Surprised? Nervous? Excited?

"Oh! Jungwon, he's Jongseong but you can call him Jay" Heeseung broke the silence.

"Okay? What is he doing here? What are y'all doing earlier?" Jungwon asked.

"He's an applicant," Jake said.

"For what?" Jungwon asked.

"For being your new guitarist" This time, the guy answered.

"He's actually a fan of ours. One of the vendies!" Ni-Ki added.

Jungwon just nodded. He once glanced at the said applicant then observed him. Okay, he got the looks but is he good at pla—

"He's really good at playing the guitar, Jungwon-ah! He uploads guitar covers online too" Sunoo added, like he just read what was in his mind.

"Name?" Jungwon asked.

The guy points at himself.

"What? Do you see me as someone who doesn't know the name of my bandmates?"

"But we just said it a while ago—"

"Name." Jungwon cut off what Ni-Ki was about to say.

"Jay! Park Jongseong" The guy responded and smiled at him.

"Good name," Jungwon said. "But you're not fit for the role. Thank you"