i

1978, the prime of the seventies for students attending the North West district. Tommy Berman had his Walkman in hand as he walks through the halls of the school, Bye Bye Love by The Cars playing through his headphones. Students recognized him in his red, plaid shirt with the arms cut off as if it were a tank top, black jeans that were ripped up at the knees, high top converse pulling the dark outfit together. His hair matched him well, a midnight black with a small streak of white, all natural. He carried a black skateboard, the underneath painted black with red lightning, some bat and skeleton stickers stuck on it as well.

All of the preppy, nerdy, jocky kids walking past him all thought the same thing. "What a weirdo"

He walks into the library, wanting to get detention over with so he could hang out with his mama's boy best friend, Vance Hopper. The curly haired, blonde boy was probably walking home in confusion of Tommy's whereabouts, as he didn't normally get stuck in detention like he did. The boy had been suspended thirty seven times within his time in the North West district, basically the last three or so grades where he started racking them in.

Vance Hopper was heald back once, he really couldn't find himself going to high school as the ninth grade was mixed in with the rest of the middle school. Tommy Berman on the other hand had never been heald back, but was starting to struggle with his grades, maybe he and Vance would both flunk and get heald back to stay in the middle school once again.

Sitting at one of the tables in the library, Tommy throws his backpack to the ground next to his chair, his skateboard leaning against the table leg, pulling out his notebook and disregarding the librarian going over rules of detention to the other students. The Walkman's volume was turned down a bit so no one would hear him in the silent area, a pencil in the boy's hand. The boy decided to edit his notes from earlier that day, but was interrupted by someone pulling out the chair next to him and sitting down. He turns his head to see the one and only.

Vance Hopper.

Tommy pulls his headphones down, the deck of his Walkman clicking as the music stops. The raven haired boy looks the blonde up and down before speaking.

"What happened to you?"

He references to the dried blood under Vance's nose and his new bruise under his eye that was turning a yellowish-green.

"That fuckwad, Carver. Such a dickweed" Vance responds in an angry tone as always, crossing his arms and leaning back in the seat.

Tommy hums and focuses his attention on his notes once again, glancing down at his skateboard and backpack to make sure they were still there.

"Ber, can I hang out at yours today?" Vance asks, keeping his voice down because he didn't want to be yelled at right now.

"Sure" The Berman boy shrugs, erasing something on his paper. "Don't you have something to work on?"

"No"

"Typical"

<•>

"Go to the Grab-N-Go then, Vance"

The Berman boy glides down the sidewalk on his skateboard, the blonde trying to keep up on his feet.

"Well it's boring without you there, otherwise it's pointless"

"And what am I gonna do? Watch you play on the pinball machine?" Tommy asks with a soft scoff

Vance shrugs, throwing his backpack over his shoulder as it was in his hand before.

"Well what do you wanna do?" Vance asks

"Skate" Tommy replies, slowing down and kicking his skateboard up into his hand, deciding to carry it so the blonde wouldn't be chasing after him.

Silence overcomes the two boys as they walk down the street, Tommy speaking up first.

"Spring break starts tomorrow. I mean, what are we even gonna do?"

Vance shrugs, continuing his little power walk down the street, brushing some of his curls away from his face. Tommy sets his skateboard back down, leaving Vance in the dust to chase after him again, purposefully going faster this time, wanting to go home and either sleep or get his homework over with.

"Wait up, dickwad!"

"No!"

"Fuck you!"

"You'd like to, Hopper!"

"Shut up, Berman!"

AN - this is basically like a prolouge, I'm still thinking of a plot for this and I wanna get it out so I have smthn to work on. also sorry to anyone reading my st fics, I rarely update them 😭😭😭