Chapter Twelve

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Once dry, and dressed in one of Anna's gowns, I joined the other ladies in the drawing room. Miss Reynolds and Miss Carter continued being unfriendly, though the younger Miss Carter and Sarah were getting on well with their conversation primarily on music. With Miss Delan, I suggested new trimmings for a bonnet Anna had grown tired of.

Mother asked how we had enjoyed ourselves on our ride back home. "Oh, it was pleasant to do something with someone new," Sarah said, her tone absent. "I think Miss Elizabeth Carter and I will be great friends. Charlotte will adore her."

"What of Miss Reynolds and Miss Mary Carter?" Mother asked, glancing at me. "I noticed they, as well as Mrs. Reynolds, were not inclined to be friendly, which I found to be odd."

"Miss Reynolds and I met in London, Mother," I said honestly. "She did not take kindly to Mr. Richfield giving his attention to me and not to her."

There was no other way of saying it. Miss Reynolds had not found another gentleman to occupy her interest and was jealous I had gained Mr. Richfield's affection.

Thoughtfully, Mother nodded. "I wondered if was the case. I will remind you that however she treats you, you must remember to be polite. Don't think I didn't hear your remarks to her earlier, Diana. What you said was not kind."

I cringed. I had hoped my comments had gone unheard by her. "Sorry, Mother. It won't happen again."

"See it does not."

Sarah seemed preoccupied the entire ride, and although Mother tried to engage her in conversation, my sister's responses were only a few words at a time. By the time we reached home, Mother had given up entirely.

There was a change in the hall when we entered. Small cases were stacked up in the middle of the room, and I knew them on sight; I had helped pack them myself months ago. "James is home!" I said, pulling at the ribbons on my bonnet.

That pulled Sarah out of her thoughts. "James!"

My older brother came out of the library. "Sarah," he said as our sister threw herself at him. He lifted her up and set her down easily. "Have you gained weight?"

"James! How can you say that?"

"You're home," Mother said, moving forward. She hugged James and kissed his cheek, though he towered six inches above her. "Did you enjoy your travels?"

James had spent most of the winter traveling with some friends around the country. "I had a wonderful time." He put his arm around my shoulders for a one-armed hug. "But I am glad to be back now."

"Will must be thrilled to have you back," I said, smiling up at him. "He has had to put up with Sarah and me all by himself these past few months."

"He didn't stop talking for half an hour," James said with a laugh. "Father finally sent him upstairs to finish his lessons." He sent a knowing grin in my direction. "He had much to say about you and a Mr. Richfield." I had no doubt Will had told him everything, from his point of view. "My little sister is being courted by a highwayman."

Every little detail. "I am not! You must not believe a word he or Sarah says on the matter."

"You're in time for the house party at the Knightons', James!" Sarah said, pulling on James' arm to get his attention. "I have been practicing my archery so I can best everyone!"

"Well, I suppose you must have something to distinguish yourself from the other ladies," James reached over to tug on her hair.

"Let's not stand here in the hall," Mother said, ever practical. "We will go to the sitting room, and I shall ring for some tea."