- three -

Rubi Jones
February 1st, 2018 - 10:00pm

"Here you go." The two tiny glasses filled to the brim with vodka slid across the bar as they released from my hands. "Anything else I can get for you guys?"

The young two men sitting in front of me were drunk out of their minds. Slurring their orders, practically falling off of the padded barstools. The music was blaring behind them, making them talk much louder than normal. One of them had long, chestnut brown hair, and a thick beard. His mustache was twisted and curled up at the ends. The other had dirty blonde, almost brown hair, and a smile that could cut diamonds.

"No thank you. Unless you're on the special drink menu," the blonde one teased through multiple hiccups and a thick Irish accent. I waved my hand at him, placing my other on my hip.

"Well blondie, I may not be on the menu. But if you want the next sweetest thing, I can make you  a strawberry daiquiri." That comment made the brunette laugh. He was holding the shot glass in his hand, his fingers tightly gripping the sides, practically shaking.

"Niall, are we gonna take this shot or what?". The blonde, I'm assuming named Niall, nodded frantically as he picked up his own shot.

"Cheers, mate. Cheers to— you and those magical fingers—, cheers to—the band. Cheers to everyone who made this happen," he garbled while leaning over into the brunette's ear, but still yelling. They locked their arms, taking the shots from their own hands. As the liquor poured down their throats, their faces scrunched up and their heads shook at the same time. Almost as if it were rehearsed.

As the guys continued to chat while I walked away from them, I mindlessly poured another drink I had on deck, whistling to myself. My whistling was practically inaudible due to the earsplitting classic rock that now filled the room.

I handed off the drink I made to one of the many alluring girls that were traveling to and from the bar. She smiled at me as our fingertips grazed each other's on the glass, mouthing a quiet 'thank you' through her plump red lips. I blushed internally, nodding to her as she sauntered over towards a mob of other girls surrounding one area of the velvet couch. My eyes followed her dreamily as she walked, letting the dog in me come into play for a moment.

She was wearing a tight black dress, ornate with sequins and rhinestones. Her long legs accompanied by a 6 inch stiletto platforms. The more I looked at her, the more I noticed every other girl in the group. They were all dressed in short black dresses, each with different sleeve lengths and cuts.

Now that I really looked, everyone was dressed in black. The guest of honor must've had a dress code. Or maybe they just find people in their circle that exclusively wear black.

I was snapped out of my trance by someone shouting my name. My head whipped towards them, startled.

"Rubi!" It was one of the bar girls, Faith. She had a tray of empty glasses resting on her shoulder as she peered down at me

"Faith! Hi! Hey! What's up?" I shouted, leaning towards her and hoisting myself up onto the bar with my hands. My feet were dangling above the ground.

"The birthday boy has a special drink order. Mind if I give it to you?" Her high pitched voice spoke slowly yet loudly into my ear in an attempt to drown out the music. Her words hit me like a ton of bricks.