10

Morrigan didn't live close to me, so we soon departed. She hugged me and made me promise to give that horrible book a try. I lied and said yes. That made her face brighter, and I'm sure she smiled all the way back home.

I watched her steps, like I always did, until she disappeared from my sight. Only then I turned back, and continued my path. I liked being alone, it was the only time the facade would be gone. I didn't have to pretend to listen to conversations that bored me to death, or fake reactions that I didn't feel.

I observed the biggest square in town, almost empty. The attack was something of the past, but it had inspired fear to the people living here. Everyone was wary of strangers, specially since someone in the police department had leaked they were searching for a human killer.

I noticed how some of the kids looked at Morrigan's black clothes and quiet demeanor. There was suspicion in their eyes, but at the same time they knew she wasn't strong enough to commit such a violent crime. Still, not few of them thought she was part of some cult.

To my surprise and enjoyment, if I tried hard enough, my words could be quite convincing. A few whispers then and there, and they would slowly change their minds. Smiling helped the process, as it made them feel more secure at my presence. But I still lacked practice. I hadn't tried it on my former friends, I didn't knew if with them it would work.

The new power was making me feel invincible, and soon it was inflating my ego. I hadn't feel the strange sensation since the day of Vinnie's funeral, that had made things easier. As far as I knew, I was the only vampire in town. I had no information about my creator's whereabouts, and honestly, despite my longing for revenge, I didn't want to see him again.

I had discover how easy it was to play with Ed, the guy who just couldn't take a no. One day I would make him think he had a chance with me, the next I would convince him to go after other girl. Depending on how cruel I felt, I would sent him to Charlie, she couldn't stand him. And I, just couldn't help laughing at their interactions, even when she would caught me having fun at her expense, and kill me with her eyes.

Good thinks don't last for long I guessed. I hadn't even reached my street, when the feeling returned. But this time I was different, tired of living in fear. I looked everywhere, only an old lady was there. She was hearing her white hair up, and hippie clothes. I had never seen her, or seen someone who looked like her in town.

I followed her for thirty seconds before I realized she had nothing to do with my strange feeling. I was slowly becoming more calm, and continued walking. Whoever or whatever was scaring me could go fuck themselves. Next time I encountered them, I was going to beat them.

I though I smelled Eric's scent for a second, but soon a disgusting smell took all my attention. It was coming from my house. I ran there, without caring about hiding my powers. The closer I was, the strongest the smell was.

I feared it was Mom. I still hated her, but I didn't want her to die. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her, not when things were slightly better. Not when she was slowly earning my forgiveness.

Some of my neighbours looked from their windows, they all looked scared. Some had a phone in their hands, and I could hear them reporting a crime. But their words were making my fears stronger. I could hear them say the word blood again and again. I heard a police's car in the distance, but I was faster than them, or any vehicle.

I stopped in front of my house, to find the porch covered in blood. To my relief, not human blood. It belong to a deer, just like the ones I had become addicted to hunting. It couldn't be a coincidence.

My suspicious was confirmed when I noticed the door. The words Last warning where written in it, with the animal's blood. No, I couldn't stop thinking. This wasn't some lunatic's work, nor a maniac's one. This was a calculated message directed to me.

"¿What do you want from me?" I started screaming as loud as I could.

It wasn't fair to be haunted like that. Not when I had done everything I could to stay unnoticed. I hadn't even tasted human blood, or reveal my new senses or powers. I had been so careful, and yet someone wanted to, at least, hurt me.

Some strong arms pulled me back. My reflexes where faster than my mind, and I kicked in the face whoever was holding me.

"Ouch" A known voice said.

Then Eric's smell filled the air, and I turned back to apologize. The words froze in my mouth, and my eyes became wide open when I saw the few drops of blood dropping from his nose. If his scent was irresistible, his blood was almost holly. A rich red, so bright and full of life.

"Sorry" I was barely able to say, before stepping away from him.

I saw Mom talking to the police, she was crying. She saw me, and ran to me. She hugged me stronger than ever, and stroked slowly my hair, more to calm her than to calm me.

"God I was so worried." She said, without letting me go. "I-I though you were hurt or worst."

"I'm okay, Mom. I'm not hurt." I said in a whisper, still been held by her.

Only then I wondered why Eric had been there. I looked for him, but he was gone. That was strange. Maybe my desire for him was clouding my judgment, and he was the one stalking. I couldn't think of any reason for him to be there. But at the same time, I didn't want to think if him as someone evil.

Everyone was staring at me, so I hid my head in Mom's shoulder, they couldn't see the lack of tears that way. Nor the fury in my eyes. I no longer wanted revenge, I needed it.