13

I looked at my reflection in the bathroom's mirror the following day, the seventh. I felt better than the previous six days, but still, I wasn't my best self. The failure of the last hunt could be seen in my face, and I would soon need another excuse to leave to hunt.

I had always like makeup, despite not being as good as Minnie at it. I would often go to her house before partying, so I could feel good enough to go out. She had a special way to make me look like I wasn't a broken mess. I missed that. And sometimes her, but not enough to try to approach her.

I didn't have anything here that could help me seem better. That was crucial if I wanted Mom to allow to leave her side or the house, which was my biggest priority. I put on the best clothes I had, and pull my hair in a braid. I knew she had love doing that to me when I was younger. Maybe nostalgia would push her to finally return me my liberty.

The previous night, just after I had finished my shower, I had gone to the library, where two police officers were waiting for me. Neither of them was the special woman I had heard in the forrest, the woman I was curious about. They had said more or less the same as Charlie, the same I had heard in the forrest some hours before. No detail was unknown to me, and after a few questions about me, they left. Not before warning me to stay careful, and avoid being outside alone.

It was a horrible moment to ask for what I was asking, but I wasn't going to repeat the past days once and again until Mom felt safe. If only I could have told her, she would have known I was strong enough to fight whoever was commiting the crime. The truth wasn't something I could share with her, the cynical and sceptical woman she was. She would probably though I was crazy.

I found her in the library, staring at the same window I had used to try to communicate with Eric. He hadn't come over since, he didn't have my number, and I didn't have my phone. I wished he would come to me soon. Even if he wasn't a suspect anymore, I feared he knew something I didn't. I wasn't happy about that, him having the upper hand gave him and advantage which should had been mine.

"Mom, we need to talk." I said, still standing next to the door.

She turned her head at me, her blonde dyed hair pulled back in a low ponytail. She looked extremely tired, older than ever. "¿Are you feeling okay?"

"Yes. Well, obviously no." I said, for a moment doubting whether my approach would be successful. " I hate this."

"I know." Mom said back, gesturing me to come sit with here. "Hopefully the police  will soon find that monster."

"Yes, I want this to be over. I'm tired of being under this... House arrest, when we had done nothing."

"Not yet, Eve, not yet." She said, answering my unasked question.

"Mom", I said, putting my hand over her hand, "We can't keep living this way. It's not fair."

"Eve, don't." She said, stopping the physical contact, knowing what I wanted, and refusing it.

"But, ¿What do you want us to do? ¿Stay here until they catch him? It could be years, or they could never find him." I said, desperated.

"¿Don't you understand there is some lunatic after you? And don't you dare start the whole it's not me it's you argument. We both know I'm not the one that message was directed to, Eve. But you don't tell me why." She was frustrated, thinking I knew the person behind all of this, or something that could stop the attacker.

At that moment, I realized she was never going to agree. There was no way the police was going to catch a vampire killer, I was convinced. The only way for the crimes to stop happening, was by finding my creator. I didn't even knew where to start, of how to do it. But the first step was being able to go out and investigate. I was left no choice but to use my new power, even if I didn't want it.

"Mom." I said, sounding sweet and warm, "¿Don't you think we should go back home?" My eyes were staring at hers, no blinking, while I was smiling candidly.

For a second, she seemed confused, and I feared the trick wasn't working. Then, her face relaxed, and she nodded. Her eyes were emotionless, but she was smiling lazily. "Yes, you're right. It's time to go."

She left me, and went to talk to Charlie's parents. I felt horrible, even a creature with loose morals like me knew this hadn't been a good thing to do. If God was real, I had a lot to atone for. My list of sins was bigger and bigger, growing everyday that passed. I didn't know if now that I was a vampire, I could go to heaven, or hell. I hadn't burst into flames the moment I had stepped into church, but I didn't quite know what to make of that.

However, to my last bad action, no guilt came. It always came after hunting, and slightly after the fight with my friends, but not this time. My twisted mind knew there was a valid reason for acting like that. More good than evil would come of using my power on Mom. I could put an end to the chaos of the past month, to all the violence and bloodshed.

I hadn't liked Vinnie in life, but he and the unknown woman found in the woods deservered justice, and I could do that. Hope filled me, for the first time since May I had a purpose, a reason of existence. I was going to catch whoever was doing all the evil, and kill it. Maybe by doing so I was signing my death sentence. But that day, looking through the window in Charlie's library, it didn't seem like a bad way of dying.

It was time to act.