PROLOGUE

His husband's phone just kept on ringing, never picking up.

    No matter how many times he had dialled Taehyung's phone number, his calls were automatically sent straight to his voicemail.

    CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

    He bit his lower lip, as the thunderclaps made him jittery, and flinched every time they came. He had been driving for almost two hours when his car broke down in a deserted alleyway. The city's electrical power was cut off, too, so the streetlights were of no use and only the beams from his headlights helped him navigate his way onto the ferocious, cold and foreboding night.

    Yesterday, while Taehyung tuned in to a channel reporting about stock markets and the weather on television while they were having breakfast, the forecaster warned the viewers of an incoming storm that was about to land in their area of responsibility in the afternoon and for the next two days.

    It was a strong storm indeed.

    But he drove under the heavy rainstorm, even when it was low to zero visibility on the road, just to search for Taehyung. As he sat numbly on his seat, his distressed thoughts were torn between his two-year-old daughter whom he had left at home and of his husband whom he was searching for in this deluge.

    "Tae, I was just asking where you've been. It's already past ten when you came home and so drunk. I was trying to call you, but I got no callbacks or replies either just to tell me where you were and that you're okay, so I immediately got worried. I'm your husband!"

    "Fine, I went out with my friends. Are we good now, or you would chastise me more for hanging out with them?"

    "I got it, Tae. I have no problem with you going out with them. What I'm furious about was the fact that you didn't have the decency to inform me beforehand, knowing that you have a husband and a child waiting for you at home!"

    Taehyung laughed mockingly. "Is this how it is now?"

    "What do you mean by that?"

    "Forget it. As I said, I just went out with them to unwind. I didn't have any fun for a long while now, you know? So spare me the lecture. I'm leaving," he snorted.

    "Where are you going?" he interjected as he followed Taehyung to the foyer.

    "Cooling my shit off!" he replied, slamming the door opened and closed in anger.

    He wiped away the tears that cascaded down his cheeks as he remembered their petty argument earlier.

    KNOCK! KNOCK!

    He inaudibly shrieked as soon as he heard the tappings on his car window, bringing him back from his thoughts. He got chills as he squinted his eyes and could only make out a figure standing outside under the rain. Although he was frightened to his core, he was also the type to lend a helping hand to someone in need no matter the circumstances, because that was how his parents had brought him up.

    What if this person needed his help?

    It was raining hard, of course he must've needed his help.

    But as soon as he lowered down the car window to ask the person about what he or she could possibly want, a strong hand suddenly wrapped around his neck in a vise-like grip, snuffing the life out of him.

●●●●●●●

a/n: i hope some of u are happy that i'm bringing this story back.

Bones Underneath Dandelions. © JT Starr, 2022.