Chapter 8

To say it was awkward would be an understatement. The holders wanted to comfort Ladybug more than just the mandatory "I'm sorry," but they had to keep their promise to Ladybug. Ladybug said nothing for a long time because she wanted to wait for Rena and because she had no idea how to. Rena was making sure no one followed them at the moment, so the group stood staring at each other in silence.

"Ladybug, I get that you just lost the love of your life, but some of us have lives to get back to." Chloe was the first to speak, earning an eye-roll from basically everyone in the group.

"I know, Chloe, I know." The girl made Ladybug want to cry and laugh at the same time. She has changed so much, and yet she was still the same old Chloe. "I'm waiting for..." before she could finish, Rena landed beside her and reported that nothing was around.

Ladybug took a deep breath before speaking up. "As you probably heard in the live broadcast, I will be stepping back from being Ladybug, so Paris will need heroes."

"Since you already probably know the other's identities, we won't make a big fuss out of it," Rena said, passing out the Miraculous once more.

Despite already knowing the identities, the kids had a lot to discuss. They didn't have time back in the burrow to ask questions, and now they were making up for it. Alya, now de-transformed, tried to answer them. No one paid attention to Ladybug for the time being, although they were all aware of the difficulties the heroine faced.

Luka was the only one who sought her eyes which were filling with tears. The blue-haired boy walked up to the heroine and hugged her tight. He didn't have the words to comfort her, but he would be there for her no matter what. Ladybug hid her face in his shoulder for a moment before breaking away and looking toward the now quieting group.

She wiped her tears as the others slowly stopped talking and looked toward her once again. "Since I am the Guardian and no longer Ladybug, there is no point in me hiding any longer," she said. "Spots off." The shock wasn't as big as it could have been since most of them heard Alya through the commons while fighting Princess Justice.

Nino rushed up to Marinette and closed her in a hug, understanding how hard it was for her to lose her partner and her first love simultaneously. Kagami was standing around her awkwardly, not knowing how to help. Most of the others gave Marinette space.

They talked for a while before Marinette was overwhelmed and had to leave. She gave the earrings to Alya and the ring to Luka, who promised to keep them safe until they found a suitable holder. With that, Marinette was no longer Ladybug.

Alya as Rena brought her home, where they stayed together for a while longer. When Alya left too, Marinette laid down in her bed. Exhaustion took her quickly, and she was pulled into a dreamless sleep. When she woke up the following day, she had a fever and could barely move. Luka and Alya both came to visit when they heard, and Marinette tried to be polite with them, despite her desire to be left alone. She knew she'd have time for herself f she put up with her friends' overcaring attitude. However, both of them realized that she wasn't up to social interactions, so they left quickly.

She fell asleep soon after as her fever took her toward the dream realm, and for a blissful moment, time seemed to stop, and her dreams brought her partner back to her. It was still going to be a while until she finally came to terms with his death, but she remembered him as happy as he ever was at that moment. She remembered him as Chat noir.

A/N:

Hi, this became a short chapter, but the previous one would have been too long if I included this too. There will still be an epilogue but thank you already if you stuck with me through this heartbreaking story.

I am thinking about making a sort-of sequel about the new generation of Miraculous holders Esme Lancaster and Sarah Blackburn. (Yes, they already have names and possible arcs too).

Enough of me; see you in about a week for the funeral that our little sunshine deserves.