Chapter 4 - The Hospital

"Mum, what's happened to Popsicle?" As I said this Dad looked at me for a second. I figured it was because I called his father 'Popsicle', that's what Dad called him when he was little.

"I-I don't know, honey. I'm hoping its just a stroke." replied Mum.

We had called the ambulance a few minutes earlier, so now Dad had to go answer the door. Dad opened the door and they came rushing into the kitchen. They carried Popsicle into the ambulance while my mom cleaned the blood. I went with Dad into the ambulance, Mum came a few minutes later.

...

"Will he be okay?" asked Dad.

"I hope so." I whispered into my Mum's ear.

"Don't worry, Tori. He'll be okay." said Mum.

"He's fine. He's just had a stroke. Has he been shocked lately, or..." said the nurse.

"Yes. Well, he did find out that his wife died." replied Mum.

"Hmm. Yes. That could be the case." said the nurse.

"C-Can we see him?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure, sweetie. Come on." said the nurse.

They led us through millions of dark corridors. I was panting when we got to Popsicle's room.

"Here he is." said the nurse, holding the door open for us.

"Thanks." said Dad.

We looked at Popsicle. It was like he was in a deep sleep, just like Sleeping Beauty. He had a oxygen mask on him. He still looked so peaceful, despite all this. He had a large bandage wrapped around his head. Some of the blood was soaked through, you could see it. It was a disgusting sight, even for Dad. I hated to see Dad like this, he just met his real father, and now...

"Mum, Dad, will he be able to come home?" I asked.

"I hope so, honey. I hope so." said Mum.

"What do you mean, come home?" asked Dad.

"..." He left me speechless.

"Doctor, when can he come home?" asked Mum.

"Well, he is fine. Just not in a good state. If you really want to take him home, we are going to have to have a nurse come over every Monday and Thursday. You know, to check if he's ok." replied the doctor.

Mum nodded. "Well then, Tori. Looks like we're taking Popsicle home."

I smiled.

"Where's he going to stay, then?" Asked Dad.

I was starting to think Dad didn't want Popsicle to come and stay with us.

"In the guest room, Dad." I replied.

Dad nodded, then sighed. I knew something was wrong with him, I just couldn't figure out what.