pump

The acrid scent of espresso tingled Wilburs nose as he stepped inside the Costa where his band had agreed to meet him.

Both the smell of sweet ground beans and the invisible cloak of warmth that wrapped around him upon opening the door drew him further in, and he quickly found a table by the fogged up window. He silently picked at the lose threads on his jeans, he didn't know why he was suddenly nervous... he felt nothing and yet everything at the same time. It was nostalgic in a less than welcoming way.

"Wilbur." Mark greeted, sitting down on the table followed by Ash who smiled nervously at him and Joe who was focused on a waiter nearby.

"I just want to talk this out." Wilbur sighed, setting his pride and anger aside when Joe took the seat next him, instead choosing to listen to the thick whirr of a frothing machine behind the counter.

"I-" He averted his gaze to the wooden table, "I'm not a killjoy. I don't- I don't want to ruin things for people..."

"And?" Joe commented, sounding short of patience.

"...And I'm sorry for-"

"Can I take your order?" A waitress with a thick accent suddenly chirped up, her welcoming smile and bubbly persona a sharp contrast to the thick tension hovering around the table.

The 4 ex-band members shared unsure glances.

"Uhm, 4 hot chocolates please." Mark spoke up after a tense moment of panicked glances to eachother.

The girl smiled, and Wilbur noted the german pin along with a 'she/her' pin on her black apron as she disappeared behind the counter. He tore his gaze away  and inhaled sharply, swallowing his pride once more.

"I'm sorry for what I said."

"And?" Mark prompted.

Wilbur furrowed his eyebrows, "and- fuck, I dunno? What do you want me to say?"

Joe scoffed and looked over at Ash sadly. "We both scared Ash, you need to feel sorry for that too."

Hot shame hung over the youngests head and coloured his cheeks.

"...I'm sorry, Ash. I really didn't mean to scare you."

The man smiled softly at him, forgiveness rolled into the silent nod of his head that followed.

"We should all compromise. There's no harm in not liking a song someone chooses, but it doesn't mean we can't make it sound awesome." Joe smiled, looking around at his friends.

"That's what I wanted from the start." Mark sighed with an exasperated expression.

Their phones pinged.

Ash: i listened to privately owned spiral galaxy it makes sense that wil would like it

Wilbur scoffed in amusement, "and what's that supposed to mean?"

The older 3 shared amused glances, Joe laughed, but before anyone could reply the waitress returned with their hot chocolates before disappearing again. Wilbur furrowed his eyebrows, wondering why she kept gaining his attention while simply just doing her job.

"So, practice after this?" Mark proposed with a smile, taking a sip from his own cup.

Wilburs eyes lit up before realisation dawned upon him, "my guitars at Phils."

Ash: we can get it after this?

Mark nodded, "I drove us here I don't mind-" He paused and tilted his head curiously, "wait, Wilbur... when does school start for you?"