3. Suck It Up, Cupcake.

Three

Suck It Up, Cupcake.

I knew the whole thing about shock – traumatic experiences leaving you dazed and confused. I definitely had the dazed thing going on, but most definitely not the confused. No, I knew what was happening...I just couldn't believe it actually was.

"Why is this happening?" I whispered, not taking my eyes away from the dashboard as he sped the car down the street. "Why did you...basically kidnapping me...even if people were after me? Who were they anyway?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see his hands tighten on the steering wheel a moment before he reached up and pushed his hood from his head. "Don't say it like that," he growled through his teeth.

"Say it like what?" I asked, my voice rising as I looked over at him. "Like the truth? You kidnapped me! Not to mention the fact you cut up a priceless painting..."

I jumped when he hit the steering wheel with both hands. "You have no clue what you're talking about!" he yelled, glancing over at me once. "There are things you could never imagine..."

He immediately shut his mouth, pressing his lips into a hard line as his eyes narrowed at the road.

"Then if I don't really know what's happening," I said quietly, still staring at him, "why did you take me? Was it for seeing too much, as you put it, or because these people knew I was with you? I don't know what or who you are...so why would I be a threat?"

He didn't say anything, only moved into another lane to get off on another, busier street, knowing just where we were going.

"I had to take you," he started out slowly, "because they would have if I hadn't."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What are you talking about? Who are they?"

"I'm not going to tell you anything."

"Well, in my opinion, I think you should tell me at least something. I'm not the one who kidnapped an innocent eighteen-year-old girl. I don't know a thing about why you ripped up the painting or what the thing was that fell whenever you tore the second canvas from the first."

That caught him off guard.

"You saw that?" he asked, glancing over at me for a long moment. "Shit, you've really gotten yourself into this now."

My jaw dropped. "I'm the one who's gotten myself into this? I am? How could you say that, you...you kidnapper?!"

The guy groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "All right, I kidnapped you! You happy? Do you not know I realize that? I'm going to get my ass handed to me when we get back!"

I didn't know if I was in shock or something, but the statement made me burst out laughing. It surprised the both of us, making him jump and look over like I was crazy.

"Am I happy? Oh, God, this can't be happening!" I laughed, wiping the tears that started streaming down my face. I didn't know if it was because I was just laughing or if I was really crying. "Do you realize I'm on this trip with my school? I've got friends and family who will be franticly looking for me. I don't want to be one of those girls who gets kidnapped on a class trip and ends up dead!"

The guy sighed, looking over. "I'm not going to kill you," he said coolly. "I'm not that cruel."

"How would I know that, though?" I questioned. "For all I know, you could be the head of an international drug cartel or a terrorist!"