"Promise me happiness?"

(Slight NSFW)

Yae lays on their rooftop and gazes at the sky, devoid of stars and clouds. The moon greets her brilliantly and she is reminded of the many nights as a young fox when Saiguu told her these stories.

She clutches on her own hands consciously, hearing her soft voice tickle her ears as they read through the ancient texts of their nation's tale. It was an odd bedtime story but one that she enjoys the most.

"Miko? Where are you?" Her beloved's voice grounds her back to reality and she sits up, gazing down at Ei walking through the courtyard. She summons her ornate fan from the golden mist and taps one of the roof tiles with it.

The goddess looks up and grins at her, just like that moon. Ei easily jumps and lands gracefully on the roof. It looks like she is wearing her sleeping robes on.

"Why are you out here this late? It is time to sleep." Ei frowns as she sits beside her and rests her head on her shoulder. Yae curls her tail around her torso to pull her closer

"I feel restless. As you were talking more about Makoto, I started thinking about Lady Saiguu." Yae nuzzles her hair and kisses the crown of her head. Ei hums as they interlock their hands together. She can feel the goddess shift her head a bit before pressing a kiss on her neck.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Maybe. It makes me miss everyone. It has been a while since I yearned for the past." Yae sighs as she opens her fan and fans her beloved playfully. Ei giggles at the action before grabbing her wrist and kissing her hand.

"I envy you, Miko." Ei whispers against her skin and both of them pull away to gaze at each other lovingly. Yae's face softens into deep affection as she cups her chin with one hand and kisses her lips.

"For what? Because of my perfect memories?"

"Of course. Sometimes, I wish I was not immortal or maybe I was a fox envoy like you. Maybe... I will not have my memories eroded and I will remember everyone until the day I die." Despite the gravity of her words, her eyes sparkled more than the moon. It draws her closer than the moon ever would with ocean waves.

Yae can feel her throat close up at the thought of Ei dying. Such a concept is something that will be impossible now, during Teyvat's period of peace. Nonetheless, she cannot dismiss the possibility after Makoto's death. She only wishes that a war as disastrous as the Cataclysm never occurs again.

Only she knows how selflessly valiant and extreme Ei can be in the battlefield. How the ruthless god manages to create a river of blood with a mere slice of her naginata. How the war drains the colors of life from her eyes, replacing it with a wrathful god who only wishes to cradle her nation in her arms. How she sheds tears of blood in front of the Sacred Sakura, wishing for it to cleanse her heart as well.

That person does not exist anymore. The Ei she knows and loves is in her arms, a bashful maiden cuddling up to her body. Tired of the burdens that she was forced to uphold for many centuries. Sweet and delicate as a flower. Looking up at her as if she is the only one in the world she truly cares about. She can feel her heart ache everytime they meet eyes. It is a pain that she wishes to bear forever.