14||Ask

Zayn

"Thanks for the coffee, Zayn. I needed that." She smiles brightly, her slight dimple prominent in her face. She looks extremely vibrant today, but still goes on insisting that she had not slept well the previous day. She walks out, tugging on her coat, her petite figure almost disappearing in the mass of fur.

I smile, lightly, shoving my hands into my pockets, gearing up for a cold day. This is becoming like our regular thing, I take her out for breakfast on a regular basis and it's so much fun. Since the day we had gone to eat frozen yogurt, both of us are more comfortable with each other, with a few flirty remarks being passed and even sharing a few moments. Like unintended eyelocks, small smiles, warm hugs and some hand holding once in a while. But it applies only for the moment and we both forget it, getting back to our playful banter filled friendship. It's easy with Sydney, it's always fun with her. There is never an awkward moment with her. I look up at her and inspite of the dark skin, an adorable shade of pink tints due to the weather, across Sydney's nose and cheeks making her look cute.

"What are you staring at?" She narrows her eyes at me, accusingly, her breath all smoky.

"Nothing." I shake my head and she squints her eyes but let's it slip, eventhough I know she does not believe my crap.

"Whatever, Chief Editor Malik. I gotta go. People wait for me, unlike you," she teases and walks towards her car and I follow her because my car is right behind hers. I open the car door for her once she unlocks it and she gives me a grin, a lopsided one.

"Gentleman." She quickly presses her lips to my cheek and slides in, putting her belt on.

"See you, Dr.Rodeheizer." I wave and step back.

"You too, Chief Malik." She drives off and I stand there for a minute or two staring in the direction Sydney had just drove off.

But suddenly a feeling of déjà vu washes over me. I've done this before.

Ofcourse.

I've done this before for somebody who goes by the name, Estelle Adams.
-
My mood is slightly dampened suddenly as I saunter over to my desk which already has been piled with articles, files and drafts for me to edit.
I sigh and take my seat, looking over a few stanzas of some article related to the Royal Family. I quickly correct it, when Zoey walk in with a smile as bright as the sun.

"Hey," she cheers and I nod, still looking at my laptop, reading through a few emails. Not even an hour since I had arrived and I already know the day is gonna be hectic.

"Zayn?" I look up at her and she narrows her eyes at me. "You okay?"

I blink a few times before distracting myself with some papers. "Yeah. Why?"

Zoey shakes her head and leans forward. "Got yourself a date for tomorrow?"

I frown. "What about tomm-oh! Fuck! I forgot," I say and Zoey looks unimpressed. I squeeze my eyes shut. How did I even forget? This is supposed to be one of the most important events for media personalities. Gosh!

"Zayn." Zoey sighs and I mentally facepalm myself for my absent mindedness. "It's important and you know it. How can you be so careless?"

"I just- it slipped off my mind. Fuck, I'm sorry!" I say, running a hand through my hair, frustratedly.

"So..?"

I look up at my older friend, raising my eyebrow. "Sooo what?"

"So who's gonna be your date?"

I shrug. "You," I joke, knowing that she already has one.

"Shut up. Plus, I already have a date. There is no time to joke around, Zayn. You need to find a date," she retorts and I sigh, heavily. "You know how the party works."