3 ~ Dine and rendezvous

Ariella made it to the dinner on time, though, she didn't leave much room to spare. She had just enough time to sit down between her mother and father, flick open her fan, and cool herself off. Just as she was dabbing away some sweat on her forehead, since she practically trotted to the hall, the butler announced the arrival of the western delegation.

Panicking, Ariella quickly dropped the sweaty napkin on the floor and swept it under the table. Her father shot her a look, but said nothing more as the king and his son stepped into the room. Due to the small number of dinner guests, King Alexander decided to use the family dining hall rather than the formal hall. The table fit eight guests; three on each side, and one for the two ends of the table. Normally, Ariella's parents would sit at the head and foot of the table, and she couldn't help but wonder why they were not now.

Zion, the western king, must have thought the same, for he bellowed out, "Come, your majesty, let us kings sit at the head of the table just as we are the heads of our great nations!"

Ariella could tell that there was a reluctance to her father, though, she couldn't seem to figure out why. Reasoning must have won over that reluctance, however, for King Alexander rose from his seat beside the princess and took his rightful place at the head of the table. His dining throne was different from the rest with the frame being masterfully carved into a beautiful arching, beveled spike. King Zion proudly sat at the foot of the table, though he deemed it to be another head.

Delusional. Was the first thought through Ariella's head.

"We have prepared some of the finest Northern cuisines that are a staple to our culture!" the northern king said as the chef and the servers filtered into the room, donning carts full of food trays. A thick, flavorful aroma wafted through the air, blessing everyone's senses. The line of servers quickly split, going on either side of the table. They lifted the rounded lids to the food trays, revealing different appetizers each catered to the individual guests' preferences. The chef personally served the kings' their foods while the rest of the servers dished out the other plates. They then all filed out of the room, leaving the guests alone with one another. Ariella slipped off her gloves, ready to eat when she had an idea.

This is my time! Ariella thought to herself as she dried her sweaty palms with her dress before handling her fan. She swiftly flicked it open, sweeping it across her bust before amorously fluttering it, just barely hiding her lips. "So my king, was your room to your liking?" she asked, lowering her voice an octave. She thought that she sounded attractive, and from the glint in the king's eyes, she believed he thought the same.

"Why, yes. It was quite excellent. The bedding was as grand as mine back in the west," he praised.

Ariella smirked behind her fan before smoothly sweeping it down past her breasts, drawing the king's gaze with it, before closing the fan in her lap. She inwardly cringed as she felt his gaze land in her lap as well. "I'm glad, your majesty!" She smiled, innocently, before eloquently taking a bite out of her dish.

King Alexander cleared his throat, drawing the western king's gaze to his. "So King Zion, tell me about your nation. I'm indeed curious about our soon-to-be ally," he said.

King Zion, on the other hand, seemed to falter in his demeanor. "There's not much to say. The Western Nation is much like your own!" he exclaimed.

"It must be difficult dealing with the brutal winters. We lose many subjects every year to that bloody season," Alexander continued.

Awkwardness began to seep from Zion, emanating around the others, thickening the air. Ariella felt as if she would choke on the tense atmosphere. "Well, no. . . We don't get that harsh of winters. . ." he trailed off, intensely picking at his food.