Chapter 2

Another one of Leni and I's regular things to do together was to help each other with general cleanings every second and third Saturdays of the month. Granted that we had nowhere to be, of course. She and I loved to clean. It had been therapeutic for us, especially when work gets a little too harder than usual. Cleaning gave us the sense of togetherness — that at least, even when everything else seemed to be falling apart, our houses remain neat and tidy.

We were at my house today and she was cooking our lunch as I wiped the kitchen counters clean. We worked quietly, only speaking when we have something in mind to talk about.

"Lens, where's the rag you used kanina?"

Wordlessly, she pointed to one of the cabinets and returned to cooking. I've never enjoyed silence. I understand it and I'm comfortable with it but I never really enjoyed it.

At least, not until Leni.

She's such a quiet person, only speaking when spoken to or when she feels like doing so. She doesn't really say much. But you best expect that when she does, she says something really impactful.

"Nakita mo na ba? Ris, dito sa taas. Ano'ng silbi ng tangkad mo?"

Or she says something like that.

"Ah, talaga ba? " I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes. She laughed at me, leading me to where she placed the rag. I took it and rinsed it on the sink. "Okay na, salamat."

A little while later, she called me over and asked me to taste the food that she was cooking. She took a spoon from the drawer, scooped a small amount of the viand and blew it so it won't burn my tongue. When she was satisfied that I won't be burnt, she brought the spoon to my lips, gesturing for me to open my mouth as if she was feeding a child.

I ate the food off the spoon and hummed in satisfaction. "Hmm...sarap mo talaga magluto, Lens!"

"Sure? Hindi masyadong maanghang?"

I shook my head and grabbed the spoon from her hand to get another spoonful. She stopped me and tutted. "Kakain na tayo, saglit lang."

I huffed and she flicked my forehead, telling me to set the table. We sat down and ate our lunch, bodies aching from the morning's cleaning session. We still had a lot more to do, though.

"Kumusta naman trabaho mo?" She brought up while we were eating.

"Okay lang, same old pa rin. How about you?"

"Gano'n din. Nakakastress dahil limited lang ang budget at mandato pero alam mo naman na I can manage."

"Of course, you can. Ikaw pa ba?"

She laughed and moved her seat so she could lean closer to me. "Usapan sa work 'yung pinaiyak mo."

I coughed, caught off guard. I did not expect her to bring that up right now. "Seryoso ba pinag-uusapan niyo 'yun?"

"My god, Risa. Syempre pinag-uusapan 'yun. Grabe, ano bang tawag nila sa'yo sa comment section ng news no'n? Girl boss."

She placed her utensils down and cleared her throat. "Paano nga ulit sabi mo?" In her best Risa impression, Leni said, "Sino ba ang nagdrama?"

Giggles and cackles surrounded the room as we remembered what took place at my workplace only yesterday. Leni howled in laughter as I explained to her that it wasn't my intention to make the man cry. She said she didn't believe me in the slightest. Knowing me, she said, I said what I said and did what I did, fully aware that I was in the right. Him crying was just collateral.

"Hay nako," Leni breathed, wiping a tear from the side of her eye. "Ang sakit ng tyan ko tuloy. Girl boss mode talaga."

"Bilib ka na naman sa'kin."

"Palagi naman akong bilib sa'yo. As if hindi mo alam 'yun."

Leni smiled at me, her dimples showing. "Proud ako sa'yo, Risa."

Warmth spread through my chest and I beamed at her gracefully. "Salamat, Leni. Proud din ako sa'yo."

We finished eating lunch and went back to cleaning the house. Around the time the sun was setting, Leni was ready to leave. She said she and her kids planned to get dinner together. I told her I would lie down for a while because I felt a headache coming.

"Pwede mo naman na 'to inumin since busog ka naman," she said, handing me the pill.

"Thanks, Lens. Ingat ka pauwi."

She nodded gratefully, caressing my hair and placing a gentle kiss on my hair before heading out the door.

Gestures like that were common between us. Leni wasn't usually a touchy person except when she's around people she's most comfortable with. I see her press kisses on her children's foreheads before they would leave for school or work, she would give tight hugs to those she felt closest to, and she doesn't shy away from the usual besos.

I reciprocate her gestures too. As I arrive at her office, I would greet her with a slight hug and a kiss on the cheek. When she's bombarded with work and I have to go because it was late or I was in a rush, I'd put a comforting hand on her shoulder and kiss the top of her head. I'd give her the tightest hugs when I knew she needed it, and she'd give me those kinds when I'm the one in need of it.

The following day, right when I wake up, I opened my phone and saw a message from Leni. "Good morning, Risa. Kumain ka ng breakfast tapos inom ka ulit ng gamot. Drink lots of water. Ingat today!"

Hay, Leni. Always looking out for me, aren't you?

"Good morning, boss. Noted po. Ingat din today!" I replied and got out of bed, feeling ultimately better than last night.

"You're going to mass with the kids?" came in Leni's message reply.

"Yep. Ikaw?"

"Yes din. Pray for your work. Sana mas marami mapaiyak mo."

Parang ewan talaga, Leonor.

"Hindi ko nga sinasadyang paiyakin siya ano ba."

"Okay, sabi mo eh. Bye na, Ris. Paalis na kami ng mga bata. Take care."

"Okay, you too. Love you!"

"Love you too, Ris."