Chapter 23

K H A Y A

It's been a month since Hailee had disappeared, and Nxumalo has been nothing but a mess. I mean, on the surface he tries to make life as normal as he can for Phiwe, when truly, he was dying inside because he feels so helpless.

He has isolated himself since this whole ordeal. So, Slee and I decide to go pay him a visit at his place, and check up on how he is doing.

As he opens the door, I can see that he hasn't changed from the drained and tired looking Nxumalo from a month ago.

"Hey bro." I smile at him, hoping that will bring some light or evoke one from him.

He moves aside for us to step in instead.

"Hey Nxumalo." says Slee.

"Hey Slee."

As we walk further in the house, it's dark and untidy. From upstairs, Phiwe comes running towards me.

"Baba!" she exclaims as she runs into my arms.

I catch her and give her a big hug. She brightly smiles up at Slee as well. He looks so excited to see us.

"How are you princess?"

"I'm good! What did you bring me?"

"Well, aunty Slee brought you some ice-cream."

I see her eyes brighten up with joy. She than drags Slee into the kitchen and they disappear for a while.

I take a look at my brother and I can just feel his devastation. I can't imagine how he must be feeling. His eyes are darker, hasn't cut his hair in such a long time that it's now a mini afro. He looks thinner and is just wearing sweats and a vest.

The family made a decision not to include the cops, because we were already on thin ice. So finding her, would completely relay on our resources.

"How are you holding up?" I ask as we sit in the lounge.

He shrugs his shoulders.

There's a brief silence.

"The little princess is growing isn't she?" I smile. "I mean, how old is she? 6?"

"Yeah."

"And let me tell you, in the 6 years I've known her, she's never ran towards me like that." I say looking at him directly in the eyes.

"Nxumalo. You're isolating her. She hasn't seen anyone outside this house has she?" he doesn't respond, which just answers my question.

"Nxumalo she's a child!"

He just throws his head back and closes his eyes.

The house was a mess. Not even his helpers and assistants were coming in.

Seeing my brother like this... Was something I never thought I'd witness. Nxumalo always treated me more of a son rather than a brother. The Nxumalo I knew, would have tried to wash up and tidy up the house, just so I'm not frightened at how low and rock bottom he has hit. But this Nxumalo, was so down and out, that he can barely pretend.

I wish I knew how to help him. I wish I knew where she was and deliver her to him. I just wish I knew to do.

"How is she?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders. "I mean... She's okay I guess?"

"She doesn't talk about her?"

"She does. A lot. She says she has dreams about her, and that she knows she's not dead. Just lost."

"She probably heard that when we were speaking or something."

"Yeah I had the same thought."

There's that brief silence again.