Chapter 4

Luis looked like he might throw up. "Okay." He looked down at his hands. "Okay. So you like her, and she likes you."

Camila shook her head. "Luis, we don't have to do this right now..."

"There's really only one logical explanation," Luis completely ignored Camila's comment.

"Luis..."

"I'll see you around, okay, Mila?" Luis patted the smaller girl on the shoulder as he passed by; leaving a dumbstruck Camila alone to wonder what had just happened. Was he going to go break up with Lauren? What if Lauren hated her for telling him the truth? What if...

Camila was distracted by a sudden vibration in her pocket. There was a text from Vero, asking to hang out. She put her phone back in her pocket, unable to deal with Vero at that moment. That was a whole other situation that was left to deal with. All of these complications were making Camila's still fragile head pound, and she slumped to the ground to relieve herself of some of the pain.

She ended up falling asleep with her back against the lockers, and almost an hour later she jolted into consciousness by a dull impact to her ear. With a little confusion Camila's hand batted away at the item that had hit it, coming back with a poorly made paper airplane.

I didn't expect to come to school for cheerleading practice to find you asleep in the hallway. Wake up, sleepyhead.

Camila's eyes flashed to the end of the hall, where Lauren sat with her legs crossed. Camila could only just pick out her silhouette, but it was definitely Lauren. A grin started across Camila's face and she moved to get up, only to be striked with a better idea.

I didn't really expect to be woken up by a piece of paper in my ear either, so I guess we're both surprised. How was your day? She refolded all the creases as well as possible and tossed it down the hall. It lazily glided through the air until it dipped to the floor in front of Lauren.

This continued for another ten minutes with no speaking, just writing, until the page was covered with scribbles, notes and drawings. The sun was setting and casting an orange glow through the windows in the hallway, which was swiftly getting darker with each passing minute.

Finally Lauren stood up and called down the hall, "want to go get something to eat?"

Camila ran to where Lauren was standing. "Of course."

Just as the two walked out to Camila's car, Camila saw the last person she wanted to see out of the corner of her eye. Vero was running into the parking lot, her long and dark hair flowing behind her like a cape. Next to her, she could hear Lauren sharply inhale.

"You didn't text me back!" Vero said once she reached Camila, out of breath. She was still in her gold and white cheerleading uniform. "Did you want to go to Austin's party tonight? All the football players are going to be there."

Lauren climbed into the car with a disgusted look dominating her features.

"I really shouldn't...the loud noises won't be good for my head," Camila explained quickly, frantically trying to talk Vero out of the party idea before Lauren got so pissed off that she drove away in a car that wasn't hers. "Thanks, though!"