Chapter 1

I am scrabbling through my kitchen cupboards. There is nothing in them that strikes me as good food to make her. I continue to open, close, and then reopen them, just in case I missed something. Nothing I ever have made or ever will make will be good enough for her. She is the physical embodiment of elegance and grace. I find myself honored to be in her presence and I never want to leave her side.

She is my partner.

At work.

We work at the bank as accountants and our offices are next to each other. I always make sure I leave my door open to increase my chances of getting small glimpses of her and hearing her lovely voice.

Back to the kitchen though, I can't be daydreaming about her right now. Every month, our department at the office does a potluck. Even though accounting is my job, cooking is my passion. I always try to pick out and make the best recipes I can find, always eager for her to try some of my food, hoping that she'll notice me and say more to me than the polite, "your food was delicious."

"Okay," I sigh, I had a big project I was working on, so I didn't really have time to go grocery shopping in preparation for this month's potluck. I gather some leftover food from the cupboards and fridge and figure that I can make a stew of sorts. I gather all the ingredients and get to work, piling things into my crockpot so that it can cook overnight in time for tomorrow's lunch. Now that everything is ready for tomorrow, I get ready for bed and my last thought before falling asleep is, "I hope Hannah will notice me this time."