Chapter 12

1 month later

I'm now sitting in my living room waiting for Griffin to pick me up. He called me last night, and told me it was his father's birthday today and asked me if I could join him to light a candle. 

And of course I said yes faster than a heartbeat. We have come a long way after we officially became boyfriend and girlfriend, and when do this a sad matter – I love that he shows his vulnerability with me. 

After we come out as an official relationship, the press has been showing up all the time. Taking pictures, and asking countless of questions. We usually just give them some poses, and keep the details about our relationship to ourself.

Hope does damn paparazzi people keeps their distance today.
As I sit in my own thoughts he text me and says he's outside. He always walks all the way up his when he picks me up, but told him that it wasn't necessary today.

As I sit down in the front seat, I watch him walk to the driver seat after holding the door for me. He's driving himself today which is unusual, but I don't question it. 

The car ride to the cemetery is quiet. I put my hand on his free one and give it a light squeeze to let him know I'm here for him.

''I'm sorry for being so quiet angle. It's just-. You know I never had a super close relationship with him, but he's still my dad and we spent his last days together. It just feels weird that this is his first birthday and I-''

''Hey, it's okay Griffin. Regardless of your relationship it's going to be weird. He's still your dad. So it's totally normal to feel all kinds of emotions today.''

''I know, and thank you for coming with me. Felt like I needed someone to lean on.'' He says with sorrow in his voice. 

''Of course I would come with you. I'm here if you need to cry, or rant to or whatever you might need okay?''
He nods and brings my hand to his lips and kisses it.

As we walk up to his grave, I keep a little distance to give him space. It's a beautiful tombstone.

Griffin squats down and trails his finger over his name

Griffin squats down and trails his finger over his name. I join him, and put my hand on his back. He lets out a breath and light the candle he had with him. He puts it down, and say. 

''Happy birthday, dad. I know our relationship became tense and distant when mom left you, but it's strange not sending you a text or call you today. Nevertheless, I miss you.'' I stroke his back with soft hands.

''I took my girlfriend with me today. If you had gotten to meet her before you passed, you would have loved her.'' As he says this I look at him, and see a tear ease it way down his cheek.