thirteen

SERGIO

I COULD'NT SHAKE HER. I YEARNED TO CARESS her skin, to taste those soft looking glossy lips, to whisper sweet nothings in her ear. I wanted her underneath me, on top of me. I just wanted all of her and I wasn't going to stop until I got what I wanted.

"Today we're going to unpack mass media." I started.

My elbows were on the podium and I clasped my hands together while speaking. "Mass media is communication — whether written, broadcasted, or spoken — that reaches a large audience. This includes television, radio, advertising, movies, the Internet, newspapers, magazines, and so forth."

Before my lesson began I made the students sit in alphabetical order according to their surnames. This meant Aaliyah was in the middle of the room, right where I wanted her.

My eyes kept darting toward her, her beauty like none other. Her was tied up into a bun, with a few curly tendrils hanging loosely on the sides of her beautiful heart shaped face.

Her lashes seemed longer and had more volume to it than usual. Her face was make-up free, making her gold nose ring stand out against her mocha complexion. Fucking flawless if you asked me.

The fiesty woman kept her eyes on me and it seemed as if though she was paying close to attention to each word I uttered.

"Mass media is a significant force in modern culture, particularly in America. Sociologists refer to this as a mediated culture where media reflects and creates the culture."

The air conditioning was faulty so it was becoming unbearably hot in the lecture hall. I loosened my tie slightly and when my eyes landed on Aaliyah she slowly bit her bottom lip while she stared at me.

I swallowed hard at the action and then cleared my throat. Why was I reacting in this manner? Normally I was the one making women flustered, it was never the other way around. 

"Communities and individuals are bombarded constantly with messages from a multitude of sources including TV, billboards, and magazines, to name a few. These messages promote not only products, but moods, attitudes, and a sense of what is and is not important."

There were worksheets on my desk that I needed to hand out so whilst explaining today's topic I did so. "Mass media makes possible the concept of celebrity — without the ability of movies, magazines, and news media to reach across thousands of miles, people could not become famous."

When I reached Aaliyah's desk I gave her an extra note with a message written on it. She quickly hid it underneath her books. The small sneaky gesture made me smile to myself.

"Now I'm going to dive into the three different theories involving mass media. The first one is the limited‐effects theory — it argues that because people generally choose what to watch or read based on what they already believe, media exerts a negligible influence."

There was a brief pause from my end to ensure everyone was still following along with me before I continued. "The second one is the class‐dominant theory and this argues that the media reflects and projects the view of a minority elite, which controls it."

"Lastly the culturalist theory, developed in the 1980s and 1990s, combines the other two theories and claims that people interact with media to create their own meanings out of the images and messages they receive."