Chapter 1. A Diamond Mystery

The tall windows of the observation tower offered a spectacular view of the night capital. Jackie leaned against the windowsill, inhaling the fragrant summer air. Middle Lake city never slept. Even when the lights in the windows dimmed, the bustling trade street came alive. Various nightclubs and pubs glowed with the vibrant light of night plants, beckoning those seeking an escape from boredom. They flocked to these lights like moths, unaware of the potential dangers that lurked in the darkness. That's why the guardians were always on watch.

The silver line of sunrise crept over the horizon, signaling that her shift was about to end. But it wasn't time to relax. Despite the quiet night, anything could happen. And when it did, she would be ready to spring into action.

"Jackie, please take a seat," a voice called out from behind her.

Turning around, she saw Walter Mills, the guardian who had saved her from drowning in the lake and had brought her to the Guardian House that spring.

As Jackie later discovered, Walter was not only a guardian but also a detective who conducted investigations in the city. He was the only one willing to take her under his wing for mentoring, showing kindness towards her, sometimes even excessively so.

Presently, he entered the room carrying two steaming cups of coffee. Placing them on a small table, he took a seat and fixed his curious gaze on Jackie with his piercing blue eyes.

Accepting the coffee cup he offered, Jackie found the drink surprisingly warm for the end of July.

"Your first night duty is almost over," Walter remarked.

Jackie looked out the window with a tinge of disappointment. "I thought it would be more exciting."

He chuckled. "That's why I enjoy working with cadets. Night duty is still an adventure for you."

Taking a seat beside him, Jackie placed her coffee cup on the table. "Is it wrong to wish for a crime to occur?"

"Not at all. I was just like you when I first started here, consumed by investigations. But I was too clumsy and eager. That's why seasoned guardians are hesitant to assign this task to newcomers."

"But you entrusted it to me," Jackie pointed out.

"Yes, because I have faith in you, Jackie. I hope you remember that."

She forced a smile. This was their ongoing game, as she liked to call it. From her initial days, Walter had been her mentor, patiently guiding her. He answered all her seemingly trivial questions and occasionally took her to crime scenes. To streamline their collaboration, they had signed an agreement on her first day, prohibiting Jackie from officially delving into his thoughts. Yet, she didn't need to read his mind to see that he was curious about what lay beneath her uniform.

Jackie unbuttoned her collar, allowing the cool morning air to caress her neck. Walter's assessment was accurate – her primary goal was to enhance her skills as a guardian, and she was content to let him believe his strategy was effective. The longer their game lasted, the more opportunities she would have to hone her abilities.

"As our duty nears its end," Walter remarked, "we could grab breakfast at a nearby restaurant. I know a great spot."

Running her fingertips along the rim of her coffee cup, Jackie delicately wiped away a droplet of condensation. "We still have time. Anything could happen at any moment."

Walter maintained his intense gaze, his blue eyes shining. "I start doubting anything significant will occur."

Jackie flinched slightly. He clearly meant her willingness to cross the line and become more than just a colleague. Which she couldn't allow. "You know the saying, 'the longer the wait, the sweeter the victory.'"