Chapter 5. A Fireproof One

In the reception room of a Guardian House, Elisa sat on a sofa, wrapping herself in a soft blanket. She had stopped shivering, but her shoulders and back still ached from the recent accident. Her Lightning Gift had protected her skin from burns, but the impact had been strong enough to knock her down. There was another kind of damage, too. Her hand ran over her short hair, still getting used to the new sensation.

Since she was a little girl, Elisa had always worn long plaits and tails, which had been a source of pride for her. Now, her golden locks were gone.

She sighed, realizing it was a small price to pay for her own neglect. Today, she had made a silly mistake by revealing her Light. Usually, she would rely on her intuition before putting herself at such risk, but her inner voice had been calm and quiet at the time. And it had all happened because of the drug she had taken.

Elisa placed her hand on her chest, touching the small glass bottle hidden in her decolletage. When the guardians caught glimpses of the fighting, they burst into the dining room and pulled her out. They searched her damaged cloak and confiscated the Moon Dust, but they never found the bottle.

Her thoughts circled back to the moment in the drug dealer's kitchen. Elisa wished she had never tried his product, but at that moment, it seemed like the only right choice. Otherwise, the dealer might have become suspicious. Ironically, taking the drug had led her to ruin the entire mission.

Elisa hadn't given the bottle to the guardians, and she wasn't going to. It seemed logical to keep it as a reminder of her failures, much like Don kept a sample of Moon Dust in his office. But it had to remain her secret.

The door opened, and a woman with kind brown eyes entered. She was dressed in a guardian uniform and had flaxen plaits. In her hands, she held two steaming mugs.

"Hot chocolate for you," she said with a smile. "And a coffee for myself."

"Thanks, Lana," Elisa smiled and took the mug in her hands, feeling its pleasant warmth against her palms. "But I didn't deserve it."

"Don't say that," Lana replied, sitting nearby. "Undercover work is always unpredictable. You stayed alive, and we caught a dealer red-handed. He's currently under interrogation."

"Will he speak?" Elisa inquired.

Lana shrugged. "With the evidence we have, he'll likely be imprisoned for at least a decade. If he wants to ease his punishment, he has no other choice but to cooperate. I bet we'll find the suppliers soon."

Elisa nodded thoughtfully. "I saw Moon Dust samples in Middle Lake. Do you think these criminals relocated?"

Lana took a sip of her coffee, savoring the taste before sharing her expertise. "People like that don't usually relocate. They're like vermin, multiplying and staying put to avoid trouble. But they always come back to reap their profits."

Elisa gazed out of the dark window. The night was gloomy, but there was no rain. If Jackie were with her tonight, she would probably worry about how many more young people were in these streets, recklessly searching for this 'fancy' drug. After months of being her closest friend, Elisa couldn't help but admire Jackie's compassion towards everyone. Interesting, how is Jackie doing now?

More than anything, Elisa wanted to write her a letter just to ensure she was alright. But she knew she had to maintain her distance. Perhaps then, her inappropriate desires would fade away.

"Still thinking of her?" Lana asked, placing her empty mug on the coffee table.

"Never mind," Elisa replied in a dull voice. "I've had much worse problems than a broken heart."

"It's been two months since you arrived here, and I can't stand by any longer. You both clearly care deeply for each other. Doesn't that deserve a chance?" Lana inquired.

"It's a hopeless case," Elisa muttered, finishing her drink in two gulps. The hot chocolate warmed her stomach, but it couldn't ease her tension in the slightest.

Lana offered an encouraging smile. "The truth is, the world is constantly changing. Just two years ago, no one would have allowed a woman to become a guardian, but look at us now. Who would have thought we'd be sitting here like this?"

"But it's different," Elisa countered. "You managed to solve a complex case and apprehend a serial killer who had been terrorizing people for years. Plus, your father is the chief in Triville."

"True," Lana acknowledged. "That's why they allowed me to become a guardian after I passed the exams. But I also became a guardian because I genuinely wanted to help others. I couldn't stand by when I witnessed injustice. And I still see it. In your situation, it's unjust that you have to distance yourself from your loved one to fulfill your duties."

"Well, life isn't fair." Elisa sighed, wrapping herself in a blanket. "And I can't risk putting Jackie in trouble by neglecting the guardian code."

"You're right," Lana responded quietly. "As a cadet, no one would listen to you."

Elisa's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "That's... honest."

"But don't you dare give up on your dreams," Lana insisted, raising her hand. "The rules may change when the time demands it. So, excel in your work and become a valuable, irreplaceable detective. Then, with enough support and respect from your colleagues, you can challenge and change these outdated rules."

"Yeah, like anyone would ever listen to me."

"As long as the change is reasonable. Same-gender relationships won't harm anyone, so trust me, people will eventually yield to it."

"When you speak like this, I start to believe you," Elisa admitted. Her heart beat louder in her chest, aligning with this new, remarkable dream. For now, it was just an idea, like a pencil sketch etched in her mind. But what if it could become a reality one day?

"To be honest, I believe this change is inevitable," Lana stated, her hand gently resting on the back of the sofa. "And you can be a part of it. The question is – how much do you desire it?"

"Desperately," Elisa replied without hesitation.

"Then, you will have my full support when the time comes."

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

Do you enjoy this story?

If yes, please support me by leaving a comment, sharing, and your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖