Chapter 16. The Power of Truth

They decided to occupy the spacious living room of the dorms. At this time of the day, all the cadets usually split into two groups – those who studied in their rooms or those who went to the pub. Thus, no one would interfere with their space. Jackie sat on a sofa in silence, her feet covered with a blanket. Howard set up a fireplace and settled into a chair.

Theo emerged from the kitchen with a glass of red wine. "Would you guys like anything to drink?"

Jackie shook her head. Her glass of lemon water sat on the coffee table, and she took a sip to soothe the dizziness she still felt after the recent ritual.

Howard waved his hand. "I'm good. Let's discuss what you guys saw."

Theo sat on the sofa next to Jackie and gave her a suspicious look. "Yes, let's clarify some details."

She moved to the very corner, hoping to avoid this conversation. Unfortunately, it was too late to hide the truth, so she took a defensive position. "Theo, you promised not to delve into the memories you were not supposed to see."

He placed his glass on the table, causing it to spill a bit. "You never mentioned visiting a chief that day! How do you know him, Jackie?"

"Why does it matter?" She glanced at Howard, seeking his support. "It's not relevant to our investigation."

Howard rubbed his chin, pondering. "Actually, the fact that you met a chief that day could provide us with a new perspective."

"That makes sense," Theo agreed.

"Can you explain how it might be beneficial?" She inquired. "Before I go back on my promise not to disclose this information to anyone?!"

"Of course," Theo said. "Let's start from the end and go through the facts. When you were working with Walter, you read the new club owner to find a trace of the drug dealers. In his recent memories, you saw the mystery man whom you recognized from the fighting club where we had a secret mission in the spring. You then discovered another memory about this man – he was in a Guardian House on the day you visited the chief. Am I correct?"

Jackie nodded.

Theo continued, "You found this 'coincidence' suspicious and informed Walter about it. He mentioned that he was alone in the observation tower at that time and would have noticed if a strange man had appeared in the backyard because he was on duty."

Howard shifted in his chair. "I've already discussed this with Walter, and he assured me he was focused the entire time he was in that tower."

"Perhaps he told the truth," Theo said. "But here is the question – is the entire backyard visible from the observation tower?"

Jackie pondered for a moment. "Mostly yes. However, the foliage is thick in the alley during the summer. It's possible to walk unnoticed under the trees."

"And that's likely what happened, explaining why Walter missed your visit," Theo said, rubbing his hands in satisfaction. "So, we observed the man exiting through the backdoor. Then, in less than a minute, we witnessed the chief opening the door to you, Jackie. Now, please, put two and two together."

She took a deep breath, struggling to accept the unsettling facts presented to her.

Howard gave her a strange look. "When I spoke to Walter, he mentioned that you had complained about him to the chief. But you denied ever doing so. If both of you are telling the truth, then who is lying?"

Disappointed in their theory, Jackie stood up and paced around the room, feeling their eyes following her every move.

"No, it can't be Chief Trevor," she muttered. "It just can't be." She turned to Howard. "You need to know something else about me. Before I came here, this man saved my life. He was the one who recommended me to the Academy. He risked his career by giving his referral to the woman he recently met!"