Chapter 14

Both my body and the demon's body were trembling now. The demon's palms were chattering as she tried to keep them still on the floor. She was anticipating something. "I'm sorry, Mundus." She whimpers. "I messed up."

A hand raises to the air. The demon finches, her head rearing back. The hand gently touches the white shoulder. "Get up from your knees. You haven't failed me yet."

Akuma rise to to her feet. I stare at Mundus in awe. He's completely different from when I met him, I thought. He ripped my apartment in two and you get the good treatment.

The doll head flies from side to side. "Mundus, Father, I have failed you."

"You haven't. This will set us back a bit. With Dante knowing, he will use this against me." Mundus plans out loud. He slams his fist against the stone table. "Dammit!"

"Father, I can strike now. Kill him and bring you his beating heart. Just like his mother."

"No." He hisses. "We need him alive and you are healing. We just need something, anything, to distract him, then capture him. I don't want him dead yet. I need to know what he knows."

The doll's face shifts into a smirks. She sits down on the couch and I slowly walk out of the death trap of a box. I stay hidden behind a dark colored wall, peering over the side. "We do have something to distract him." She comments, propping herself on one elbow. Mundus growls. Her white thumb points towards me. "You do have another daughter."

"I don't want to bring her into this. I don't want her involved in this." Mundus replies.

Kuma shoots up from the stone couch. "She was already involved with this when I first joined her body! If you would've killed her off when she was born-"

Mundus cuts her off. "We are done and dropping the issue. You made the mistake and you had every right to leave her, but you stayed."

"You had a choice?" I ask quietly.

Akuma whips around to face me. "Can you please just shut up?! I can't go one minute without you talking!"

"She was hearing all of this?" Mundus hisses.

"I'm figuring it all out, father." Akuma hisses back. "Let's just get a plan going for Dante."

Mundus snaps his gross, fat fingers. "We need to distract him somehow. We need him to stop fighting me and fight for something else."

Akuma smiles. "I can do that. I can use my charming personality to persuade him."

Mundus shakes his head. "We need someone who can't protect herself. A girl, most likely. He knows the way you act. We need someone he knows- oh, shit."

Akuma leans on the stone table. "You have to drag her into this either way. You can't avoid it."

Mundus points his fat finger at her. "I'm not doing that. She's not-"

"Fuck it then, right?" Akuma shouts. "Let's just keep going and watch each of your helpers get picked off until you are the last one, shall we?" She turns away from her father. "Bye, dad. I'll see you in Hell."

Akuma walks up to me. She glares at me. "I guess you get to go back to your life. I'll make sure you'll forget so you don't need to have haunting memories."

"Wait." Mundus's voice quiets Akuma. "May I speak to her?"

"You know that she doesn't know about you?"

Mundus nods his head. She tilts her head towards him. "Go on. You have the floor."

Carefully, I walk towards Mundus. I hold my intertwined hands on my chest. I was afraid for what is going to happen. Mundus holds out his hands in front of him. They land on my small shoulders.

"Look how you have grown up." His hand touches my cleared up cheek. I hastily pull away from his hand. He looks away from me. "I don't have the heart to do this to you."

"What are you talking about?" I ask, the memory in my apartment stuck in my head. "You tried to kill me! Obviously, you don't have a heart. Who are you anyway? Why does all this involve me?"

A buzz cuts into the conversation. "The Nephilim is approaching the building. Your meeting has to be cut short."

Mundus turns his backs on us. He was back at the windows again. "We'll talk soon. Akuma, rest and take care of Amber. Fill her in about the plan. Make sure she goes along with it. If she doesn't, you'll do it."

Akuma bows her head. "Yes, Father."