A Crush? How sweet!

----Natasha

It's my first day of my sophomore year, I skipped a year because I was far more excelled in my studies than everyone else.

My crush on Travis was much more than just a crush and no one knew about it except for me.  Travis picked on me and teased me often, but he didn't know how much I wanted my crush to be more with him.

I was sitting in the library reading a book.  "Always reading something somewhere."  I looked up from my book and saw Travis.  "Ash."  He said.  His own nickname for me.  My mom called me "baby" because I was her baby.  My dad called me "shorty" or "sweets".  My siblings called me Nat and I hated being called Nat.  Travis McQuade could call me whatever and my favorite nickname he gave me is Ash.

"Hey."  I said.  He sat down beside me and I tried not to smell his cologne.  He smelled so good.

"What?  No Travy today?"  He asked.

"It was fine until I found out I'm not the only one that calls you that."  I said.  "You're the only person that calls me Ash.  As your best friend, I should have a specific nickname for you that only I use."  I said.

"We'll have to work on that."  He said.

"Travy, you promised you'd come see me first thing this morning."  Amberlee said pouting.

"Catch ya later."  Travis said to me.

"Bye."  I said.

"Oh, don't pout Tator.  He has a girlfriend which means he has more important priorities than the tator tot."  Amberlee said.

"Don't call her that."  Travis said.

"If the name fits."  She said.

"Whatever dumblee."  I said.  Travis smirked at me before walking off.  Amberlee huffed and walked away.

During my next study hall before lunch, my cell buzzed.

Ash, come up with that nickname yet?

No, not yet.

Brainstorm later after school?

Check with your girlfriend first.

She's not really my girlfriend...

She hangs on to you like she is.

That's generally before I make her stop.

She got you to walk away this morning.  First period is our hang out time remember?

I didn't forget.  Stopped her from bothering you though.

During lunch, a new guy walked in with a sack lunch and walked around a bit before spotting me.  "Hi."  He said.

"Hi."  I replied.

"I'm Owen.  Mind if I join you?"  He asked.

"Um, yeah.  I guess.  I'm Natasha."  I said.

"If not, just say so."  He said.

"It's fine."  I said.

Travis came in and spotted me, he walked over and sat beside me.  He looked at Owen.  "You new here?"

"Yeah.  Just started today."  He said.  "Who are you?"

"Travis."

"I'm Owen."  He said and Travis nodded.  "You two...?"