Chapter 61 - The One With Ishita's Ex

Ishita blinked. And blinked again. And again. She couldn't believe her eyes. Was it really... him? Subbu?

It had been an eon since she had given that man any thought. So much so that she hadn't even realized how easy it was going to be for her to bump into him here. He was a practicing dentist in Chennai... Of course he'd be at this conference. It didn't even occur to her.

She had moved on. Truly. She had a husband who loved her beyond words; children she cherished more than the richest jewels; and a family who cared for her beyond measure. So why did the mere sight of this man cause her teeth to clench in resentment and her glare turn accusatory?

It's been a long time

And seeing the shape of your name

Still spells out pain

Raman's eyes widened in shock. His gaze bounced from his wife to the man in front of him, a million emotions passing over his face. Until now, he had only heard of Subbu, the man who had been foolish enough to dump a once-in-a-lifetime woman like Ishita over something so damn immaterial. But now, the name had a face to it, and his eyes rained their uninhibited disapproval and criticism on him.

Subbu gulped as he found himself the object of Raman and Ishita's piercing stares. He hadn't given Ishita another thought after the first few weeks of their breakup. There had been rare instances in the beginning of his marriage when he had compared Ragini to Ishita, pleased at how his wife kept her mouth shut around his mother, gratified at how willingly she had left her engineering career after Varun's birth. Life had gone on, leaving him no room for even the tiny inkling of guilt he initially carried.

It wasn't right

The way it all went down

Looks like you know that now

But now, his ex stood in front of him, her eyes glaring accusations at him. His mouth went dry as guilt reignited in his heart, and the air strung taut between them with awkwardness.

"Hi... Hi Ishu..." Subbu mumbled. Ishita's spine turned to an iron rod hearing him use her family nickname.

"How've you been?" he asked. "How are Bala Anna and Vandu Anni?"

Ishita cleared her throat, trying her best to mask her scorching glare and maintain some sense of civility. "I've been great, Subbu. Akka and jeeju are good too."

"I heard Anni was pregnant. How is her health? And how's the baby?"

"She and the baby are both doing good. Her due date is getting close. We should be hearing good news this month."

"That's great..."

Ishita sucked in an uncomfortable breath. All this small talk seemed both unimportant and unnecessary. Especially considering how much ugliness remained buried between them.

Yes, I got your letter

Yes, I'm doing better

"This is my husband, Raman Bhalla." She turned to her husband, an involuntary smile creeping up her lips. "CEO and business owner." Her previously small voice was infused with pride and love as she introduced her husband.

Raman extended his arm and shook Subbu's hand, gripping it with power and confidence and a hint of resentment. Subbu returned the gesture, discreetly biting his inner cheek at the painful twinge from such a firm handshake.