Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Alchemy

           In the Capital City of the Whipper Kingdom, Dorcas has been staying in one of the Burgens' residences for almost one week. His father Duke Daryus Burgen has also come back to the Southern Territory after accompanying him to look around the capital city for the past few days. Before leaving, Duke Burgen promise that he would take care of some matters before returning to the Southern Territory.

Currently, accompanied by Hayne in the Burgen's residence in the library, Dorcas was reading several books that interested him. This book has one common similarity among them.

[ Alchemy through the Ages: A brief history of Alchemy]

[ Alchemy for Dummies]

[ Introduction to Alchemy ]

[ Stone to Gold: The Ultimate Goal]

[ Legendary Alchemists of History ]

The more that Dorcas read books about Alchemy, the more he felt that he was fired up and his interest in Alchemy grew. After reading the books, Dorcas left his seat and started to look for more books around the library.

Seeing Dorcas' familiar attitude, Hayne who was watching from the sidelines sighed. Because his young master has been cooped up inside the residence for a long time, Dorcas has no other hobbies that he developed aside from playing with the toys gifted by the Duke or reading books in the library.

But recently, it seems that Dorcas has also lost interest in playing with toys and dedicated himself to studying under Miss Safira, reading books, and his recent studies of music under Ms. Ambrose.

' Young master Dorcas was a hard-working and very studious person. '

Hayne watching Dorcas rummage through the bookshelves again was proud and happy of his young master. He was different from the other children of the nobles who know nothing but to play and eat.

If Dorcas would know Hayne's current thoughts, he would be embarrassed.

In his past life, there were many times he decided to be a slacker and didn't even do some of his homework during his childhood. He wasn't a studious person.

In this second chance given to him, Dorcas was studying hard because he was fascinated and interested in the Alchemy. If possible, Dorcas wanted to learn magic but it was a pity that Dorcas doesn't seem to have any capabilities to do magic. The only thing that Dorcas was capable of was sensing mana and aura in his surroundings.

From the original Dorcas memories, the child has asked the Duke the reason why he can't do magic. The Duke could only sigh forlorn and doesn't answer at all.

But the current Dorcas understands the reason why. The current Duke Daryus Burgen like the former Duke was a magic-resistant person. As classified by the people of the Whipper Kingdom, he was a native.

He was also someone who wasn't capable of magic. Despite that, the Duke has found another alternative. Instead of Magic, Duke Daryus was adept at using Aura. He was also known as the best archer of the Whipper Kingdom.

If possible, since there was no way for Dorcas to learn this world's magic, (except his blessing)  he wanted to learn the alternative. Using aura that was comparable to that of Qi in that martial arts novel. Unfortunately for Dorcas, the moment that he said his intention to Duke Daryus, he was immediately refused.

" Father, I wanted to become like those knights and warriors of our kingdom! I also want to be strong like you! Can I learn how to use Aura? "

" (Sigh). Dorcas. Right now, you can't. But perhaps, when you have grown older. If you want to learn how to use aura. You need to have a good body foundation. And your body which has recently gained a little better from your illness isn't quite suitable for body exercises or aura learning. "

Recalling what the Duke said to him, it wasn't a direct refusal. But Dorcas who was quite impatient because of the recent circumstances, can't accept the condition of being older. He can't afford to wait.

Right now, it wasn't just a simple interest the reason that Dorcas is browsing through the books about Alchemy. There was also the Alchemy bringing possibilities and solutions to his current trouble.

For example, once he completed acting as a 'Bard', the formula for the next job advancement would be supplied to his mind. But there was one thing that the mystical tarot card of the sun wouldn't be able to help him with.

It's the potion ingredients...

Dorcas was certain that he needed to find alternative potion ingredients for his advancements. And he thought that Alchemy could also help him in successfully brewing potions.

Other than the possibility of the Alchemy helping with his blessing advancement since he can't do magic or aura, that doesn't mean that the possibility that this world can offer is already locked up.

If he can't become a powerful magician or a strong knight... Then pursuing the goal of becoming a great alchemist would be one of Dorcas' goals in this world!

He can adapt the idea that he had gotten from reading different pieces of literature and make sure that they would become reality in this world someday.

He would learn, practice, experiment, and bring his wonderful thoughts into reality!

" Someday... someday. Hehe.."

While Dorcas was daydreaming as he browse through the books, Hayne who was watching his young master shivered.

He can't help but compare the young master's smile right now to those cruel mages when they wanted to experiment. Shaking his head, Hayne thought that the young master wasn't like the deceased lady at all.

" Hayne?.. Are you okay?  "

Dorcas then noticed that Hayne was frowning at him and asked the latter.

" ..Yes, I am the fine young master... I just happen to have some interesting little thoughts in my mind. "

" I see. Anyway. The lesson time with Miss Safira would start later. We should leave the library now. "

Hayne then assisted Dorcas in carrying a few books about Alchemy that he wanted to carry with him outside the library. Once the door of the manor's library closed, Hayne glanced at his young master who was smiling like a happy clueless, and excited child.

Such a person like him wouldn't turn out to be like the Duke's deceased wife.

Hayne can only pray through Nature that his wishes could be heard.