Part 4

(Mackenzie's POV)

"Lunch is served Mackenzie, are you coming?" Mother asked, hoisting me up out of my chair.

I allowed her to walk me over to the tables lined with food. There were staff behind the tables, filling plates as people walked past. I grabbed a plate as we approached the first table and stood behind the cue of people.

I could see Kim standing with Kai further up in the line. Why wasn't I more like Kim? She wasn't so shy, particular and secretive. She was energised, enthusiastic and fun! How we ended up friends is truly beyond me.

I watched them laugh and walk back to their seat, with plates full of food. I liked dancing with Kai, I really did, but I need time to know him better. I'm not exactly looking for love at the moment, unless this is fates way of finding it for me. I'm the shy, old fashioned girl who paints and likes to wear cardigans. What could make him so interested in me?

"Miss?" A voice asked, fixing my eyes away from Kai.

"No thank you," I said politely, watching the finger sandwich that was held over my plate with a pair of tongs.

It wasn't until I reached the end of the line, that I realised I hadn't collected a single helping of food. I placed my plate down on the end of the last table and made my way back to my table.

"Not hungry dear?" Father asked, looking at my empty hands.

I nodded my head in response and took my seat. I watched as everyone else ate around me, I could see the little stares Kai was giving me now and again. I turned my head and looked at him, catching his focus. He looked away almost instantly, but then looked back giving me a small wave. I smiled in return. Next thing I knew I was being tapped on the shoulder, I turned to see a tall figure in front of me.

"Would you like to go for a walk?" Kai asked hesitantly, letting his eyes wonder.

I hesitated slightly, but the blue of his eye captivated me. I found myself getting to my feet and nodding my head, choosing not to use words, as usual.

"Aren't you going to introduce me?" A manly and deep voice asked, also standing up.

My Father stood expectantly beside me, waiting for the introduction. I hadn't yet told Kai that this was my family's house, or of my families wealth. On the other hand, I really didn't want to tell him. Hearing his story before made me think it would just be rude to go telling him of my wealth and riches. I thought back to when Kim told me that he didn't know where I lived or anything about me, so if something were to go terribly wrong he wouldn't know where to find me again.

"I would...but we were just on our way for a walk, maybe later," I said quickly, grabbing Kais wrist and leading him away.

"Who was th..." Kai started to ask, but I stopped him by asking a question of my own.

"So what made you come to a stranger's garden party that you were invited to by two girls you met on the street?" I questioned, changing the topic completely.