Chapter 22

A/N: I almost forgot what day it was!! Whoopsie

"Wake up, sleepyhead."

I groaned as I opened my eyes, glancing at the clock. 6:30. Why is he waking me up? Satoru watched me with a small smile, his thumb stroking my cheek. He looked conflicted.

"This is enough time for you to get ready for work right?" He said softly.

Work?

He's letting me go???

"Unless...you wanna stay here with me." He teased.

I shot up from the bed. A brief flash of disappointment and hurt crossed his face. I ignored it and dug through the drawers. Work. It's only been about a week since I've been gone but it felt like an eternity. It felt like I was never going to be able to go back. I picked out some clothes and hopped into the shower. By the time I got out, Satoru was cooking breakfast, his usual light air gone. I pursed my lips and went into my bedroom.

After getting dressed, I had plenty of time to spare. I hesitantly walked over to the counter, watching him cook. He was unusually silent and in spite of everything, guilt gnawed at me. A few minutes later, we ate a relatively quiet breakfast and I left to commute. Normally, the commute was mindless but everything felt brand new. I heard everything, the way my shoes hit the pavement. The hum of conversation was everywhere. The smells of restaurants and busy people walking everywhere. I was simultaneously overwhelmed, irritated and enamored.

I was doing well up until arriving at the front of my work. Flashbacks of the attack crossed my mind. The way the bile felt, the humidity of the forest, the threat of death. My legs shook and I took a step back.

My phone buzzed.

The Great and Wonderful Gojo:

I won't let anything happen.

I tensed up.

Where was he?

I looked around until I saw him waving at me from the cafe. My phone buzzed again.

The Great and Wonderful Gojo:

Squee! You're staring! *Blush*

Against my better judgment, I smiled.

The Great and Wonderful Gojo:

I'm right here. You're safe.

Despite everything, that made me feel safe enough to move forward. He looked relieved, gave me one last smile, and put his phone down. I gave him a small wave and headed inside. When I got to my floor, I went into the break room, surprised to see Yuriko there with deep bags under her eyes. When she looked up, her eyes widened as she stared.

"Hi." I said.

"Why didn't you text me back?" She asked.

"I...it's...got its a long story."

"Hold on." She said.

She dragged us to her computer and booked a meeting. When we sat down, she looked at me expectantly. I decided to tell her everything. Literally everything. The more I said, the more I could see her holding back a million questions. When I finished, she was completely silent.