Seventy Two

I finally escaped the library with help from Clodys. I walked straight to Lucretius’s quarters. To his bedroom.

He looked at me in confusion, but I ignored it and asked without preamble, “Please stop the dowager empress’s marriage plan for Princess Liliana.”

“…”

He studied me as usual. He patted his chin and asked, “Why?”

“Please just do it.”

“Well, I don’t understand why I need to do it.”

I smiled brightly. I knew exactly what to say to make him do what I want.

“When you gave me a cup of poisoned water, you didn’t give me an explanation either, remember? I think you need to do me a favor without knowing the reason.”

“…”

He seemed stunned for a second. After a short silence, he raised his hands as a sign of surrender and replied, “Alright. I will do it. Besides… I can guess why.”

He already knew I was trying to get to the princesses, so it was not a hard guess. Obviously, I was trying to be on the princess’ good side.

It would have been easy for me to explain my reason to him. I knew that if I did, he would have done what I asked. The reason I insisted on not telling him was… I was just being difficult.

I was still a bit angry at him. Now that I forced him to do something for me, I felt a little better.

Perhaps I could stop being angry at him for spying on me.

Then suddenly, I noticed where I was.

I was in his bedroom and Lucretius was on his bed. He still wasn’t fully recovered, but he was already back to work. There were several pieces of paper scattered around him.

The fact that I didn’t even ask him how he was doing made me feel guilty. He was still a patient after all.

To hide my guilt, I grabbed the papers from his hand and said to him angrily.

“This is why you aren’t getting better faster! Look how I recovered in only two days! I rested and I got better quickly!”

He tried to make an excuse in a weak voice.

“But I am getting bett…”

I ignored him and called for his assistant. I handed the documents to him and ordered him not to give Lucretius any work until he became well again.

After a long sigh, I turned around. He was still in his pajamas and leaning against the headboard. He did look much better than yesterday.

Suddenly, I remembered what happened last night.

His naked chest, his weight on me, the kiss…

And the scars on his back.

Without thinking, I blurted out.

“Last night… I didn’t mean to see it, but… While I was changing your shirt… I…”

When I hesitated, Lucretius seemed to realize what I was asking.

He smiled bitterly and answered, “So you saw.”

“… Yes.”

“Well, you were bound to find out sooner or later. We will always live together after all.”

… What the heck was he talking about? Always live together?

Normally, I would have argued the fine points, but I didn’t feel like it was appropriate. We were talking about a sensitive subject, so I decided to let this one go.