Chapter 1

Rose

Today for the first time I'm going to meet the king. I'm nothing if annoyed. From what I've seen on the television he's not the type of person that I would love to work with: arrogant and he can't take anything seriously even when it's an attempt on his own life. I was called to be the bodyguard of a grown-up man because he couldn't stop throwing an enormous party and accepting anyone there, even people he didn't know existed. Apparently he's too enthusiastic about everything and so reckless. This is going to be really hard.

When I walk into the room where the throne is placed Aaron Cobalt III looks at me like I'm the most appetitive woman he has ever seen. "Your highness here is Rose Rhodes, your bodyguard," someone says but before I can see who is, they're already out of the room and it's just us. Me and the king. "But you're a woman," he exclaims when he realizes that I'm there just to protect him and not to have any fun. I would rather slam my head into a wall than participate in his parties or have fun with him. He's known to be the most insufferable person when people don't want to dance or drink. And I hate dancing and drinking. A good start. "And?" I ask waiting for an answer with some logic and not just sexism. I couldn't work with someone who thought women weren't good enough to work or weren't as good as a man.

"For fuck sake, just because I'm a woman that doesn't mean I'm not good at my job but since you're the king you can call me stupid, inexperienced, unqualified-"

"Beautiful. You should add beautiful," he interrupts me smirking like an idiot without mentioning that I practically insulted him. Maybe he likes women that talk shit about him, if so I'm lucky. I clear my throat trying to sound as formal as possible so he can't see that he made me feel emotion even when it was simply nervousness. "I know that you, Highness, don't take your job seriously, especially this bodyguard thing but I'm here and your safety is important for all the people who believe in you and I think you really love your country and its people." Apparently, this speech was useless since he didn't even look at me when I was talking and he just asks like I haven't said anything "Would you love to have tea with me?" Was he serious? By the way, he's looking at me with a cup of tea in his hand, he was. He was serious about tea and not his safety? "As I was saying-"

"Or do you prefer coffee?"

"Tea is fine." I'm already tired. I can't seem to make him understand how important his figure is. "She doesn't like coffee. Got it," he says while pointing to a chair waiting for me to sit. So I just go there to watch him pouring tea.

"Oh come on. It's going to be great," Katie says looking at me so excited. "You should totally accept the job, I mean they choose you for the king? You can't reject," Libby adds while Katie can't stop nodding. "He's so reckless that he won't listen to me ever," I remind them because let's be real, dealing with him it's gonna make me murder him and they know I'm capable of doing that, otherwise they wouldn't choose me. My beautiful blonde-haired friend hugs me "He's going to do whatever you say and you know why?" Libby and I shake our heads. "Because you're so scary sometimes that I might kill myself if you ask me to." I couldn't help if not laugh. I usually don't do that often, I also don't trust people but this two were the only ones I could stand. It was difficult to hate them when they were the cutest. Katie is the sweetest person I've ever seen, no matter how bad you treat her. In fact, she always had problems finding a guy who wasn't a dumb prick. She only had three relationships but all of them were abusive and every time I was there threatening the guy if he didn't leave her. While Libby is the calm and shy one. You can think that she doesn't talk much but with us? She doesn't shut the fuck up. She wants to become a ballerina and she's already amazing. She looks so regal when she dances to classic music and so energetic while dancing to pop music."Ok, fine. Let's go crazy because of a king," I tell them faking a mad expression while the other two were laughing and hugging me. Another reason I wanted to give up on this job was the fact that I wasn't gonna see them like we're used to. But they love me enough to let me go.

"Earth calls Rose," I heard his voice reminding me that it was just a memory. I miss them.

"Now listen to me. You're going to do as I told you otherwise I'm going to end your life with my own hands and trust me I'm completely capable of that. I don't care that you're the king, you're under my protection and it's my job to tell you when you're wrong," I say coldly. He can fire me, if he doesn't like that, for what I care.

"Whatever Miss Grumpy wants. But you're going to love being all this time with me I'm pretty charming and lovable," he says agreeing with what I just told him, "I can't say no to a pretty face." Maybe it's not gonna be that bad.
"Do you put sugar in your tea?" He really can't stop talking about tea. I swear he acts so British.
"No," I reply when he still puts sugar in my tea because for him it's the only way to actually enjoy it. Apparently I was wrong.