n i n e

"World War II ended in?" Mr Tanner was asking another round of questions to his unresponsive class

"World War II ended in?" Mr Tanner was asking another round of questions to his unresponsive class. "Anyone got anything? Ms. Juan? ... 1945."

Elena's not-so sneaky conversation with Stefan was rudely interrupted by Mr Tanner asking her a question, "Pearl Harbor? Ms. Gilbert?"

"Hm?" Elena questioned.

He cleared his throat, repeating himself, "Pearl Harbor."

"Um..."

Mari raised a brow in Mr Tanner's direction, almost daring him to say something cruel to Elena.

As if sensing that Mari was baiting Mr Tanner, Stefan cut in and answered, "December 7th, 1941."

"Thank you, Miss Gilbert," Tanner said sarcastically, in a feeble attempt to embarrass Stefan. A few students chuckled.

"Anytime." Stefan grinned, unperturbed.

"Very well." Mr Tanner was always up for a challenge. "The fall of the Berlin Wall."

"1989." Stefan replied, to which Mr Tanner looked vaguely impressed.

"I'm good with dates, sir." Stefan explained.

"Are you?" Tanner asked. "How good? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."

"1964," Stefan answered.

"John F. Kennedy assassination."

"1963."

"Martin Luther King."

"'68."

"Lincoln."

"1865."

"Roe v. Wade?"

"1973."

"Brown v. Board?"

"1954."

"The Battle of Gettysburg."

"1863."

"Korean War."

"1950 to 1953."

"Ha! It ended in '52."

Tanner started to turn and walk away as Stefan said, "Uh, actually, sir, it was '53."

"Look it up. Somebody. Quickly." Tanner ordered.

"It was '53, Tanner." Mari smirked, enjoying the fact that he was getting a taste of his own medicine.

***

Mari watched as Stefan talked to Mr Tanner about joining the football team before collecting her things and walking towards the cheerleading practice spot. Elena had mentioned that Stefan was thinking about joining, and after that throw this morning? Mari agreed that he'd be a great addition to the team. Hey, maybe he'd even knock Tyler on his ass a few times for good measure.

"Mari!"

The brunette spun at the sound of her name being called.

"Hey, Elena. Is everything okay?"

"Hey, you haven't seen Caroline, have you?" Elena asked, while Bonnie tapped through her contacts on her phone.

Mari hummed, thinking back to when she last saw the blonde. "No," she replied. "Not since the Comet event... Why?"

"Seriously? Where is she?" Bonnie sighed in frustration after hearing Mari's response.

Elena turned to her, "I don't know. It's not like her."

"I'll try her again." Bonnie said, pulling out her phone again.

As if on cue, Caroline arrived in some random guy's car. She lent over and kissed him, making Mari raise an eyebrow at the action, before exiting the car.

"Uh..." Elena began.

"Oh, my God. That must be the mystery guy from the Grill." Bonnie announced.

"That's not a mystery guy." Elena said, making the two girls turn to her in surprise. "That's Damon Salvatore."

"Salvatore, as in Stefan?" Bonnie whisper-yelled.

"I got the other brother. Hope you don't mind." Caroline smiled cruelly at Elena before turning her attention to the rest of the cheer squad.

"Sorry I'm late, girls. I was, uh... busy." She smiled coyly. "All right, let's start with the double pike herkey hurdler, what do you say?"

 "All right, let's start with the double pike herkey hurdler, what do you say?"