Chapter 1

Jeremy!!!,my mum screamed my name for the umptieth time. Loud thuds as I run down the stairs,school is starting by 8am and it was already 15 minutes to 8am. I admired myself in the mirror close to the dining table,am 6'4 ft guy with a black curly hair and brown eyes. Most girls actually love me for my hair and eyes and it is one of the most appreciated features I took from my grandad. Was about to sit and eat my breakfast when mum said,
"I don't think you have time for that,just grab a snack and your lunch"
I silently picked a toast and grab my lunch bag,walking to the car,I can see the anger on mum's face. Oh how she hates being late,she just got a new job in a publishing firm,yea,my mum is proudly a writer, she actually stopped writing few years ago when I lost my dad but she still write articles.
     I lost my dad two years ago,he was involved in an accident on his way back from a conference in Ohio. It was the most devastating time for me and my mum,I just had to be strong for mum cause she was really broken.Was waiting in the car,mum was still trying to lock up. Anyways let me introduce myself properly,my name is Jeremiah Daniels but people call me Jeremy for short,am a tall guy with beautiful hair and eyes,I play basketball and as many people hardly believe am very shy. Mum entered the car and just as she was about to ignite,she stopped and faced me.
"Jeremy,I think Daniel would have to pick you up every morning. The drive from home to work is about 35 minutes and I really can't keep going late"
"Yea,no problem. Am sure Daniel would be fine with it"
Am sure you must be wondering who Daniel is,Daniel is my childhood friend,we met when we were just five and we have being friends since then. We are both in the same basketball team and I have taken Daniel has my brother even though he is older than me with few months.
     The drive to school was smooth, except for the brief talk mum gave me about her new job,she rubbed my head and gave me a peck on my cheek as we parked in the parking lot. I smiled and alighted from the car,was about entering the school corridor when I felt a hand on my neck,knowing it was Daniel.
"Hey buddy,how are you doing?"
"I'm good"
"You can't be,after missing last night party"
Yea,I forgot to say that about Daniel,he is a party freak and always want me to tag along.
"I think am okay with missing the party and I had to prepare for school"
"You could have done that this morning,bro,the party was good"
"Ok"
Me listening to Daniel talking about the party was a morning job for me and I was relieved when I heard the bell for our first class. Finally,some peace and quiet.

                               * * * * * * *
Our first class was History,our history teacher Mrs Smith was already in the class when I walked in,she smiled as I walked past her and said hello,she replied
"Jeremy,how are you doing?"
"Am fine"I replied smiling
As I was popular known and called "all teachers pet",i was quite close to my teachers and this is because of my good grades and intelligence. History class was brief or maybe long enough cause Daniel could not stop complaining all through the class and he unfortunately sitting beside me. We walked out of the class together,to our next class which was Geography. Daniel told me we have meeting with the coach during lunch break as we walked into Mr Adams class. Mr Adams was a strict Indian man with a very funny English accent,he always tries to make his class a serious one but the accent was not helping our seriousness. The class started and before the end of the class,some guys were sent to detention for mimicking Mr Adams,I was not really a genius when it comes to Geography but I was pretty good. Hearing the sound of the bell,we were dismissed for lunch break. Me and Daniel head to the cafeteria and sat in our regular spot, brought out my lunch bag and took out an apple,our meeting with coach was in the next ten minutes so I could not really eat.

                              * * * * * * *
Coach briefed us about an interschool game coming up next Tuesday and our practice time. We were so packed with practices even on Saturday, we all grumbled as we went over the practice time but coach could not care less,he was a very strict man when it comes to practices and any player absent on practice could be benched. We are playing against the best basketball team in the town and this is already our third game, loosing the first two times,coach is really worried about the game so I guess that is why practice is everyday. A good news came from the meeting though,Daniel was made our new Captain as the former has graduated,we cheered for Daniel as coach made the announcement.
      The rest of the class for the day was okay, Daniel dropped me at home after school,mum was not back from work yet so I decided to surprise her by making dinner. I was really stressful but I tried my best to make it look good,as I struggled in the kitchen to clear the mess I made when cooking, mum entered and walked to me in the kitchen. She was very surprised,she pecked my cheek and asked what I was doing
"Trying to make dinner"I replied
"Really,and how is the coming"she said laughing,making reference to the scattered kitchen.
I smiled and said" I really tried,just go freshen up, dinner would be ready before you are back"
"Ok" she said as she head to the stairs.
She was back in the kitchen,and watched amusingly as I set the table,I caught her gaze and smiled,she smiled back. After setting the table,we said a little prayer which was our tradition before eating and I waited for her to eat before I eat. She took a spoonful of Mac and cheese and smiled,which made me relieved that the food was good but I still wanted to hear compliment.
"This is really good Jeremy"she complimented, patting my hair
"Am glad you like it"
Dinner was fun,mum could not stop talking about how I remind her so much of dad and her father. We sat to watch a movie after dinner,mum went to bed just few minutes into the movie,movie was really not her thing and she was obviously tired too. I stayed to watch the movie,could not finish it as I remember I have assignments to complete. Was completely drained when I was done with the assignment,laid face flat of my bed and gave way to sleep.