Chapter 45~ Final Nail

Final Nail

"...Believe me, I'm not out of tricks either."
__________________________________________

The rays from the late morning sun hit the steps of Massachusetts District Courthouse as Blue and Ethan stood at the top of the steps, all set to take on the last of their ordeals.

After yesterday's trial, they had both gone back to his apartment, still reeling from the bomb Bloom had dropped on them regarding Tobias. The ex-Kenmore attending was clearly going to side the billionaire from the certainty in the latter's tone when taunting them the day before. They were unsure how, but from what Gabe had conferred with them, he was likely going to be on Bloom's side as a rebuttal witness.

Blue could pick out the nervousness on Ethan's face, his hands tucked into the pockets of his suit pants, grounding himself as they waited for the rest of their legal team, along with Naveen to arrive. She reached out to grab one of his hands, lacing her fingers with his comfortingly.

"Hey, we have been digging up about this study for the longest time, with Zaid, Sienna, Esme and even Naveen with us on this to take on Bloom." she told him. "We will be fine."

"I know..." Ethan sighed as he turned to her. "It's just that the stakes are a lot higher here than it looks to be honest. We're literally trying to expose an illegal and unethical study that has been connected to so much bigger than we could imagine. Remember what Bloom said yesterday? If we don't win this case he could literally sue all of us that are against him. I don't mind taking the fall, but the rest of you that got caught up in this because I decided to sniff out Bloom's bigger plans would end up getting caught in the crossfire too."

"Ethan, the rest of us decided ourselves to side with you when you first brought up the suspicions you had around Bloom." Blue replied, stepping closer to him. "Even if the outcome of this does not favor us, I don't think any of us would regret standing up for what is right to ensure than innocent patients don't suffer for Bloom's selfish needs."

"Well, I appreciate all of you, especially you for being by my side." Ethan said, pulling her into him closer. "I was always determined to bring his secret study to light, but now that we're here, just moments away from actually doing it, I can't help but think that I have I bit off more than I can actually chew."

"Who are you?"

"Where are you going with this?" Ethan asked, perplexed with the sudden shift in their conversation.

"Just answer the question." Blue huffed.

"Your boyfriend." he answered, making Blue roll her eyes, a coy smile and blush evident on her face which elicited a slight smile from Ethan as well. She could never get used to that term even after more than a year, and frankly, neither could he.

"You're Ethan freaking Ramsey." Blue said, making sure to emphasize the middle name she insisted on calling him with every time. "You can do anything that you set your heart into."

It was Ethan's turn to roll his eyes this time, a fond smile apparent on his face as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace. She had said the exact same thing to him back when Naveen was on his 'death bed', and Ethan was feeling almost helpless over saving his mentor, fearing that they were too late with the diagnosis and administrating him with the cure for his illness. She always trusted him and his abilities unconditionally, and that gave him all the reassurance to keep moving forward with strength.

"I don't know how many times I have to remind you that it's Jonah, but thank you, Rookie." he told her sincerely, his term of endearment for her causing her lips to curl up into a smile. "Having you by my side every step of the way is a boost enough as it is."