Part 5

I hear my alarm blaring as I see light behind my eyelids. I open my eyes and look over at my clock. It says 8:00. I quickly get dressed and grab everything I need. I grabbed my Mums necklace off of her dresser, I needed to take something with me, and rushed out. I woke up Nancy and fed her and packed all her stuff.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"I have to go on a trip so you will be staying with Kindle till I get back," I explained.

"I thought you weren't allowed to go," she asked curiously. 

"Well I really have to go. Don't worry, you will have lots of fun with Kindle," i said scuffing up her hair. She giggled as she fixed her hair. She put her backpack on and I picked her up. I went out the front door and closed it behind me. I locked it and put the key in Nancy's backpack.

"that is for emergency use only, you hear me?" I asked her.

"Okay, I pwomise," she said hugging me. I ran over to Kindle's house and knocked on her door.

"Is it time?" she asked worriedly. I told her the plan and situation last night on the phone.

"Yes," I said handing her Nancy. "My house key is in her backpack and about fifty dollars too."

"Please don't die Emily," she said quietly. She set Nancy down and hugged me. I hugged her back. When she withdrew, she turned around and looked at Nancy. She was young but not stupid.

"You got drafted didn't you," Nancy said, looking at me with tears in her eyes.

I ran forward and hugged her. "I am so sorry," I said crying. "But you cannot tell Nana or Mum about this, okay? they are already worried enough."

"Okay, just be careful," she said hugging me.

"I will, I promise," I pulled back from her and kissed her. I hugged Kindle one more time and sprinted to my bike parked in my driveway.

{-}

When I arrived at the station, my eyes were almost back to normal again. You could barely tell I was crying. I walked over to the training ground and checked in.

"Aren't you a little young to be here," the person asked.

 I scowled at him as I took off my jacket and he scanned the bar-code that popped up on the screen on my arm thing.  He opened the door and I stepped inside. i wasn't too worried. I had a black belt in Taekwondo and I was pretty tall for my age. I walked over too where the recruits were lining up.

"Okay, so you have all been picked to go do something greater than yourselves," she said. I scrunched my nose at her. "Our enemy is something called White Spikes. They are incredibly deadly and have short and long range killing. They have tentacles that shoot white spikes at you, hence the name. Their weak point is their neck and chest. Shoot there! Do you hear me!"

"YES MA'AM!"

"Good! Now go get your weapons and start training."

I turned around and started walking over to where the weapons were. I grabbed a gun and two daggers. I placed the holsters around my waist and tucked the daggers in it. I turned around and ran head first into someone else, causing me to fall backwards. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back up. I looked at his face and couldn't believe who it was.

"Mr. Forester?" I said with surprise. 

"Emily? What the hell are you doing here," he said pulling me back up on my feet. He looked at my left arm. "You were drafted!?!" he says, shocked. "But you're only sixteen."

"I was the only one closest to the requirements to be drafted. My Mum has cancer and my sister is only four," I look at him, and he sighs.

"I am not letting you out of my sight then," he said annoyed.

"I don't need your help Mr. Forester," I said. I was getting angry. How dare he think I can't protect myself.

"Until this is over, just call me Dan," he says, and starts to walk away.

"Oh and Emily."

"What," I say annoyed he won't leave me alone.

"Sorry about your mom," he says and walks out of the room.  Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. You don't need a protector. All of a sudden an alarm starts to below. I see everyone running towards a room so I follow.  All of a sudden it hits me what's happening. We were getting taken to the future. But I thought we had a week to train.  I guess the future needs us now. 

As we line up, I happen to be lined up right next to Mr. For-Dan. He looks over at me and smiles.

"You will be dropped in Miami, in the year 2050! You will be dropped about five feet from the ground so be ready!"

 I look forward to see people getting lifted up and vaporized.  I try not to be scared but I can't help it. As we get lifted up, I scream.

{-}

All of a sudden, I feel the sensation of falling. I open my eyes and see a burning Miami below me. I scream as I see that I am hurtling towards a building. I feel somebody grab my arm and turn to see Dan. He pulls me towards him and we land in the pool on the roof of the building.  I feel the water hit me and I float for a second before getting yanked up. I gasp for air as I kick myself to the side of the pool. I see bodies all around us. That was definitely not five feet from the ground. 

I look over and see Dan on the floor, gasping for breath. All of a sudden I hear a staticy voice come over my earpiece. 

"Hello? Hello! Is there anyone there? There was a malfunction. Is anyone still alive?" I hear a frantic voice.

"Hello? Hello! This is Dan Forester! We have received your message, what do you want us to do," he asks.

"I need to send you on a rescue mission to get my team, they are in a building downtown, I can guide you there."