05 ࿐ the taste of something sweet

   AS was expected, rumours of Daemon's misdeeds had spread like wildfire throughout the keep. It had been reported that the king was livid when he learned of it and severely reprimanded his grandson. The man himself had not sought Lyra out after that nor had she seen him for the next few days after.

In that period, she had spent her time in the company of Daemon's brother, Viserys, along with his wife and daughter. Soon, she would come to call them family by law but they had already welcomed her into their hearth.

Viserys Targaryen and Aemma Arryn were a good match for one another. Lyra envied them for that. Viserys was an amicable man, pleasant and well spoken. The only thing he wished upon anyone was everlasting happiness and peace. He found that for himself in his wife, who was the apple of his eye.

Their daughter, Rhaenyra, was a sweet child at the tender age of five. Lyra adored Rhaenyra from the moment she sat down with the girl. For Rhaenyra did not play with dolls or learnt to sew. Instead, she studied the histories of the world and gazed ever upon the sky where her ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror, descended upon Westeros.

In that aspect, Lyra found a kindred spirit as Rhaenyra would beg her to tell stories of the North. Of her forefathers and Bran the Builder who constructed the mighty Wall to protect them against dark winter nights. Of the First Men and the Old Gods and the Children of the Forest.

"Have you been to the Wall?" Rhaenyra asked. "Is it really taller than the Red Keep itself?"

"Ten times as high," Lyra told her. "And a hundred fold of its length. But no, I haven't been to the Wall. It is not a place for you or I."

"Why not?" the young princess inquired.

"Because it is a black place for men with even blacker hearts."

When she said that, Lyra could not help to envisage her father sending Daemon to the Wall. It would certainly be a sight to behold.

"You will give her nightmares," Viserys warned but it did not seem that he found their conversation distasteful.