Chapter Thirty-Six

Combat Boots and Wide Eyes

Lunch came far too quickly for Marinette's liking, but the group met her exactly where they said they would and it was relieving not to have to be alone for any span of time.

She didn't know what she would do if she had to face Lila and particularly Alya all by herself.

But that didn't stop either of them from approaching the group just as Marinette was starting to dig into her sandwich wrap- -kind of grateful that Kim didn't eat with them because he was too busy annoying Max who was in the computer room every day, because it definitely would have led to several unsavory jokes- -causing Chloe to scowl deeply.

"What do you want now Lila?" She asks, flicking a piece of rice at her from where it fell off of one of her sushi rolls. "We're all out of bitch juice, you have to restock somewhere else."

Adrien, who had just taken a drink of his lemonade, chokes and has to hold a hand over his mouth in order not to spit it all up.

Wide green eyes look between the two of them before darting to Marinette for help, I can't keep a straight face or fight a girl, what do I do?

Let Chloe do it for you, I don't know... the heroine only offers this with a small shrug, blue eyes still monitoring Lila's presence from her peripheral vision. She seems to be handling it well.

I'm not sure, once she threw her entire lunch at Lila after she insulted her.

Marinette smiles to herself, I'd pay to see that.

No you wouldn't, her partner pushes the remembered feeling of exasperation through the bond. She complained about being hungry even after she got home and had dinner. It was torture, Bug, really.

Awh, poor Kitty -what the fuck? Whether this comes from her, or him, or them both neither know. What did I miss- -is everything okay?- -what's going on? Projected fear and the jump of being startled destroys the humor filled barrier that connects them. Oh no- -Lila's still here- -oh no -this won't end well- -what's even-

Their mental link screeches to an improper balance, both of them thrown off guard and all of their mental process slamming against the other unceremoniously as they flinch when Lila slams a hand down onto their lunch table and leans into it.

"I don't know what game you're playing, Marinette, but it's only the first day and I don't think it's appropriate that you wore something so... risque-"

The liar motions to her outfit.

"-it's not fair to everyone, especially the boys, that you're trying to catch so much attention. It's inconsiderate and you look too distracting for a schooling environment -I'm just trying to be fair to everyone, you understand?"

Marinette, blinking slowly as she glances down to herself and then back up, irritation and bewilderment flooding her, can only slowly say, "If... Lila, if you think that I look so distracting to you that it stops you from being able to do school work, it just means you think I'm hot. But even if that's the case, I'm not responsible for your inability to pay attention to anything other than my thighs."

And in doing so, feels so much like Jason that she's sure he'd be proud (and Tim would hate it).

"You do have nice thighs." Chloe compliments, giving her bare legs an appreciative glance, as if all of this was some casual conversation.

With rather pink cheeks and his eyes trained everywhere that's not Marinette, Adrien agrees with a nod of the head.

"That's not -I don't, I don't-" Lila sputters, reeling back slightly and moving her hand off the table to throw it in the hair in frustration. "I do not think you're hot! What I said was it's not fair to the boys, not me! It's inappropriate."