Chapter Four

"As I discussed, To Kill a Mockingbird depicts social issues that are still relevant today. It tackles discrimination, human rights issues, injustice, inequality, corruption, poverty, racism, and oppression. I want you to write an essay. Distinguish and elaborate how the story relates to the present issues that we have now. Don't forget to cite evidence to support your essay."

I heard some of my classmates groaned. I didn't give a fuck. I remained staring at Caius like he's a billion-dollar art. Honestly, I don't understand a shit in his lesson. Para lang akong timang na nakatitig sa kaniya buong oras. I don't even know kung anong subject ang tinuturo niya, sa pagkakaalam ko lang, literature something 'yon. 

Caius stroked his hair with his fingers. I heard some of my girl blockmates' gasp and I literally want to pull their hair out of their heads. There are times that I hope Caius wasn't that handsome. I will still love him whatever he looks like anyway. 

I bit the insides of my cheeks when Caius' turned his gaze at me. I fought the urge to smile when our eyes met. 

"Ms. Dominguez, are you listening?" he asked and put his hand on his pocket and stood there like a fucking model. 

Napatingin sa akin ang mga kaklase ko. Napakurap na lang ako. 

"Y-yes, Sir," sagot ko na lang. 

Caius crossed his arms and looked intently at me. "Then, what did I just say? Care to explain?" he asked. The dominance in his voice made me quiver. 

I gulped and awkwardly stood up. "Uhm. You want us to make an essay about uhm... that mockingbird thingy," I mumbled. 

Caius' eyes narrowed. "You're obviously not listening, Ms. Dominguez."

"I was listening, Sir," sabi ko na lang. I tried to restrain myself from smiling. Palagi naman akong hindi nakikinig sa lessons niya, pero ngayon niya lang yata ako tinanong nang ganito sa klase. 

"Then, who's the author of To Kill a Mockingbird?" he asked and stared straight into my eyes. 

I cleared my throat and scratched my arm. "Uhm... J.K. Rowling?" 

Nagtawanan halos lahat sa klase. I just rolled my eyes and didn't give a shit. Si Caius lang ang nakikita ng mga mata ko sa oras na 'to. 

Caius sighed. "We're not talking about Harry Potter, Ms. Dominguez." He gritted his teeth. 

Everyone laughed. I remained staring dreamily at Caius. I can't believe we're finally interacting in his class. 

"Freak," my blockmate murmured. 

I looked at her. I made sure my one eye was visible. I made sure I look scary... and creepy. Pinanlakihan ko pa siya ng mga mata habang walang emosyon na nakatingin sa kaniya. "What did you just say?" I asked in my coldest voice. 

I saw how she turned pale. She immediately distanced his chair away from me. I smirked and turned my gaze at Caius again. He just shook his head and took his books. "Don't forget about your assignment, class. Class dismissed."

Hinabol ko na lang ng tingin si Caius nang lumabas na siya ng classroom. Alam kong sa office siya didiretso. I immediately took my bag and stormed out of the room and followed him. Hinintay ko muna siya na makapasok sa office niya bago ako pumasok din sa loob. I'm really thankful that he has his own office. 

"Caius..."

Caius looked at me. He sighed and put his books on his table. "I told you not to approach me here in campus. Ano ba ang hindi mo maintindihan do'n?" he asked, irritated. 

"I saw you with Lynne earlier. Huwag ka nang makipag-usap sa kaniya," diretsahang sinabi ko. 

"Hindi na ba ako pwedeng makipaghiwalay man lang nang ayos sa kaniya?" tanong niya, bahagyang naningkit ang mga mata.