Prologue

Never regret thy fall, O Icarus of the fearless flight For the greatest tragedy of them all Is never to feel the burning light.  -Oscar wilde

Orpheus was the son of Apollo and the muse Calliope . Apollo gave his son Orpheus a lyre and taught him how to play . It had been said that
"nothing could resist Orpheus's beautiful melodies, neither enemies nor beasts."

Orpheus fell in love with Eurydice,
a woman of beauty and grace, whom
he married and lived with happily for
a short time. However, when Hymen was called to bless the marriage, he predicted that their perfection was not meant to last .

A short time after this prophecy, Eurydice was wandering in the forest with the Nymphs. But while walking , she was bitten by a snake and died instantly. Orpheus sung his grief with his lyre and managed to move everything, living or not, in the world; both humans and gods learnt about his sorrow and grief .

At some point, Orpheus decided to descend to Hades to see his wife. Any other mortal would have died, but Orpheus, being protected by the gods, went to Hades and arrived at the Stygian realm, passing by ghosts and souls of unknown people. He also managed to attract Cerberusl (the three-headed dog) with a liking for his music. He presented himself in front of the god of the Greek underworld Hades and his wife, Persephone.

Orpheus played his lyre, attracting Hades. Hades told Orpheus that he could take Eurydice back with him but under one condition: she would have to follow behind him while walking out from the caves of the underworld, and he could not turn to look at her as they walked.

Thinking it was a simple task for a patient man like himself, Orpheus was delighted; he thanked the gods and left to ascend back into the living world.

Unable to hear Eurydice's footsteps, however, he began to fear the gods had fooled him. Eurydice might have been behind him, but as a shade, having to come back into the light to become a full woman again. Only a few feet away from the exit, Orpheus lost his faith and turned to see Eurydice behind him, sending her back to be trapped with Hades forever.

Orpheus tried to return to the underworld but was unable to, possibly because a person cannot enter the realm of Hades twice while alive . So
he played a mourning song with his lyre, calling for death so that he could be united with Eurydice forever .

His lyre was then casted into the sky as a constellation by the muses ✧⋆⁺☁︎₊⋆

Orpheus's story now symbolises the power of love and the power of art, to overcome death .

༘ *ೃ༄༘ *ೃ༄

This was one of the most beautiful Greek myths I've ever read, so I wanted to share it with you

And , If you want to read more about Hades & Persephone myth , I've wrote it in my story { sweet revenge }

Hope you are excited for the story ♡

Chapter one will be released very soon , don't forget to vote and comment

Stay tuned ~~