A Childhood Enemy ❀

"Good Morning, Young Mistress!" Tae-Sak wished in a cheerful voice the next morning.

"Yeah... morning," Mae-In said, yawning. She didn't sleep a wink last night and now felt drowsy. She couldn't stop thinking about the foolish things she had done.

"Goodness, Young Mistress! Are you okay?" Tae-Sak asked, her voice laced with concern. "Shall I call for a physician?"

"No... I didn't sleep yesterday. New places aren't for me," Mae-In replied in a tired voice.
She threw herself on the bed again and attempted to fall asleep.

"Well, I think you should freshen up. The tiredness will be out in no time!" Tae-Sak suggested.

Within a few seconds, a bunch of maids came in and took her to the bathhouse to freshen her up. She would've complained about the water being too hot, but having seen how kind and nice the maids were, she let it go.

Sure enough, after washing up and having a rather heavy breakfast, she felt a bit energetic.

She asked the Court Lady Jin-Hee, if she could take a stroll around the market.
Even though the Court Lady locked her with a side glance that lasted for a millisecond, she smiled and said, "Sure, Your Highness. The guards will accompany you."

So now, she was strolling down the fleet of stairs with her maid and a bunch of Palace guards.
She disliked the idea of being followed by guards everywhere, but there was no other choice.

She merrily hopped around the market, smiling and feeling freedom after a long night in the Detached Palace, while Tae-Sak surveyed the market in awe.

Suddenly, she bumped into a figure and, ignoring the person's amused gaze, she apologized and walked on.

"Jung Mae-In? "
The familiar voice made her stop in her tracks and she turned to see the person. Smiling ridiculously at her was Woo Hyun-Seo, the second daughter of Minister Woo and, not to mention, her forever enemy.

Woo Hyun-Seo, a self-possessed young lady of nineteen, could make any man fall for her attractive fox eyes and perfect red lips. Even she, herself, can't remember how many men she hooked up with. "It doesn't matter once it's over," she says.

"So, Jung Mae-in, fancy seeing you near the Palace. How have you been? Did your mother kick you out yet?" she said, sneering.

"Just fine. And no, my mother hasn't kicked me out, as of yet." Mae-In answered, forcing a smile. She thought of going on about what had been happening in her life but she kept quiet.

"I see, you still haven't got rid of your ominous behaviour. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I last saw you. And I thought you might've changed. Hmph," Hyun-Seo said, making a face which irritated Mae-In to no end.

Hyun-Seo and Mae-In had been classmates in Lady Shin's class since they could walk and talk and, since then, they have been enemies. They always fought; Hyun-Seo blamed Mae-In for everything she did not do and Mae-In snapped back at her and left her scorched. Once, Mae-In got detention for two days because she was accused of hitting Hyun-Seo with a pan when she was just sitting there, drawing a landscape. They were finally separated when they were fifteen, as Minister Woo wanted his daughter to look after the infirmary of her mother.

"I am sorry. Can I please cut this conversation short? You see I am running errands," Mae-In said, smiling at Hyun-Seo.

"Ah...! Isn't this that chick who saved you from getting drowned in mud when we were twelve? I must say, she got the nerves," Hyun-Seo blurted out, pointing at a scared Tae-Sak with disgust.

"She has a name, you know?" said Mae-In, raising her voice.

"Anyways! How are your sword fighting skills?" Hyun-Seo asked, giggling.
Mae-In disliked admitting it, but Hyun-seo's sword-fighting skills were incredible.