War

I enter gym class already feeling nauseous with the sight in front of me: Dashiell Parr and all the other mindless, arrogant, jocks. No matter how many times I attempt to avoid him I'm always stuck with him, gym, history, and English. It'd been like this since junior high, and I hated it. Dashiell shakes hands with Corbyn a tall lanky red-headed boy in our class challenging him into a race. It is typical for Dashiell to abuse his skill, as always, he'd bet a kid to race after pretending to be sick, injured, or off his game and every time they'd fall for it. I watch regretfully as they start into a sprint, Dashiell starts off behind but slowly speeds up to a faster pace. Corbyn is red in the face trying to stay ahead, but it's useless Dashiell has been the fastest in our grade since, forever. 

When Dashiell's hand touches the gym wall signaling he'd won he wears a smug smile. He looks over at me giving a wink. I sneer and head towards the bleachers "Come on Danley, can't you have some fun for once?" He asks me as he retrieves his winning's from a breathless Corbyn. "Yeah it must be real fun weaseling all your friends out of their money," I say sitting next to Natalia, he shrugs and goes on his way choosing not to fight today. I turn my attention to Natalia who is pulling her dark curly brown hair into a ponytail. "I know this is how you and Dash show your love, but can for just one day can you try to get along?" She asks me and I roll my eyes "The day I get along with Dashiell Parr will be when pigs fly," I state.

"Well the supervillain Wings could make that into a possibility," she tells me "Ugh no supers talk Nat. I don't want to think of another supervillain who could attack the school," I tell her "well how about thinking of Dash, Melting point, or Shiner?" she suggests and I roll my eyes "Now why would I waste my time daydreaming about teenage super boys?" Natalia scoffs "why wouldn't you! They could go to this school? Dash Parr? The Dash? You never know," she shrugs and I nearly gag. "Dashiell doesn't have the courage or brains to be The Dash," I tell her looking towards Dashiell Parr with a glare "Sounds like you have a super crush!" Nat exclaims.

I roll my eyes, I was about to correct her when the gym teacher comes in to begin class. We start our usual jog and I easily get into a rhythm "so, The Dash huh? He's handsome, but I heard he doesn't like buzz kills," Dashiell says pulling me out of my rhythm. "Dashiell, I'm not a buzz kill you're just arrogant and immature. A super like Dash would agree that you're a total neanderthal," I state frankly not even looking toward him. Dashiell scoffs "I think The Dash would think I'm fun, and that you're a total pill," he states as he quickens his pace to leave me in the dust. Typical Dashiell arrogant, stupid, and immature some things will never change.

I step into the locker room excited to shower and get out of here. I wanted to get to my after-school job and pronto, but then I hear Natalia. "Savannah! They released it! It's out! The story was released a day early!" She exclaims running me down with her phone clutched in her hand. "Look! Double a new teen Super is everywhere! Double has been able to stop crime all over our city and she's stated she's nowhere close to being done yet," Natalia reads "She's the top female teen Super right now, and there is a rumor she's related to the Multiplier. Check her out!" Natalia continues to geek. "She seems cool Nat, but I want to shower and get out of here. Mom needs my help with something after school," I tell Nat trying to evade the conversation. 

"Yeah, yeah, your mom needs help every Friday afternoon. Will, I ever get to see my best friend on the weekends?" She asks with a tone of sadness laced in. "Let's make a deal next Saturday I'll come over and we can hang out. Okay?" I suggest Nat smiles giving me a nod before heading over to her gym locker. I quickly shower and change back into my clothes from earlier, the bell rings right on schedule and I hurry out of the school. I bike home and rush inside, "how was school today?" Mom asks "it was good, but tonight will be better," I state opening a hatch in the living room to get my uniform. "Going to work already? Don't you have homework?" She asks raising an eyebrow "Finished it at school, it's all good," I tell her before going to change. I re-enter the living room and open another hatch "I'll be home late but I'll see you tomorrow," I tell her "be safe!" she calls as I step in the hatch.

Time to start my shift as Double.