Chapter 4: Goodbye Amazon

Author's Note: Hi, everyone. So, here is chapter 4, the last part of Eshe's stay in the Amazon. I know her stay there lasted longer than it had in the previous version (or well, it had lasted for just as long, it just wasn't very obvious the way I'd written it), but I hope it was worth it and that you enjoyed it.

I would also like to tell everyone that Chloe Currid, who has been a great help to me throughout the planning of the whole story, has begun re-writing her own twilight fan-fic, Moonlight. Some of you might know that after Red Moon's sequel, Northern Lights (which will be re-written in time), and Moonlight's sequel, Blue Moon, Chloe and I are planning to co-write a common sequel for the stories. For this reason, we are both trying to make sure that as far as the timeline and the events of the two stories are consistent as we're rewriting them together. I suggest that you read Moonlight as well, because other than what I just said, it's a really well written story, and it deserves a little more attention. If you didn't notice the link above you can use this link to read it: http://www.wattpad.com/story/2571205-moonlight-a-twilight-fan-fiction

Ok, so I'm moving on with chapter 4. Enjoy!

Lots of love,

Nessie

Chapter 4: Goodbye Amazon

It had been about two months since we had arrived to the jungle. It felt wonderful. I got to practice on my gift as much as I wanted, go wherever I wished, and draw until I'd lose the feeling in my hand. I was taking a break from school too, obviously. Even if my parents wanted me to attend school, there were none in the middle of the Amazon. Lucky me.

Kachiri began visiting more often. She didn't run off to take care of things like she used to when we first got there. I wasn't sure if I was correct about it or not, but she looked as if she had worries weighing heavy on her shoulders. She looked somewhat anxious. She would pull Zafrina away in the middle of our lessons, or jump out of nowhere, and stare at my parents or me as if we were a flock of flying monkeys. I couldn't figure it out. Every time I asked Zafrina or Senna about it, I would get the same reply.

"It's nothing. Kachiri's just looking out for you."

By looking at us like outcasts she'd love to kick out of her jungle? I'd reply.

It was a few days before May that I was awoken by the pounding of the rain against the roof. It took me a while to realize what the sound was; I hadn't seen rain for a long time. I bolted outside, barely managing to stop myself at the threshold. I recognized Zafrina's broad shoulders a little further away, kneeling on the ground, completely absorbed by her task.

"Morning," I said, approaching her, and leaning against a tree. The rain pelted down on me, but I paid no attention to it. "What are you doing there?" 

"Ah, little Eshe," she started, without even turning to look at my direction. "The rain season has begun. I am tying my house to this tree; or else it will float away," she announced, pulling the rope in a tight knot. 

My eyes widened in surprise. "Whoa! Really?" 

"Look for yourself," she said, and pointed behind her.

My mouth hung open. I couldn't believe my eyes. There was water everywhere. All around the hut, the jungle was flooded. "What's going on?" I asked, mesmerized by the sight of the jungle; it was like a different world around me, a surreal version of the place I'd discovered in the months I'd spent here.

"The rain season has arrived for good," Zafrina said with a small smile. 

She explained to me that although there wasn't really a dry season in that part of the Amazon, there were simply those times, when it rained so much that the river flooded, and half the jungle ended up underwater. She'd even asked if I wanted to see what it looked like when the water reached its highest peak.