Chapter Twenty-Nine

*Warning: This chapter may be especially triggering to some readers. Please, read with caution.*

"It's scary what a smile can hide."

April nineteenth. One month before prom. I had no idea whether I should be happy, or terrified at the thought of it.

Brock did not show up to pick me up for school. I crossed the street to his house, and banged on the door for fifteen minutes before my phone buzzed in my pocket.

I'm sick. Sorry. Will talk to you later. Xx

I frowned. Any time he told me he was sick, it usually meant something else entirely. I dialed his number in my phone, and waited to hear the sound of his voice. There was no answer.

Taking steps back into the front yard, I craned my head in the direction of his bedroom. The curtains were drawn. It was pitch black in the house, not a light to be seen anywhere inside.

By the time I ran for the bus, classes were about to start in less than twenty minutes. I texted Brock that I would stop by after school. He did not answer.

"Claire!" I turned around to face Zoe, who ran up the sidewalk to catch up with me. She took a moment to catch her breath. "One month until prom! Can you believe it? I am seriously freaking out!"

I tried to smile, but I wasn't in the mood for it. "Yeah. It's gonna be so much fun."

"Is something wrong? Where's Brock?"

"He said he's sick. I went to check on him before heading to school, but he wouldn't let me in." I shrugged, shoulders sagging at the inexplicable weight I felt on my back.

Zoe patted my arm, and reached for my hand. "I'm sure he'll be fine. What do you say to skipping classes today? I know you're not one to do it, but—"

"Let's do it."

She laughed, pressing the back of her hand to my forehead. "Are you sure that you aren't the one who's sick?"

"I'm serious, Zoe. Something feels wrong. I need to distract myself." I relaxed a little at the small vibration from my sweater pocket.

For the past twelve days, I had been feeling worse than ever before. I had trouble sleeping every night. Mornings were worse, when I would wake up to the horror of another day. Most of the time, I yearned to spend all hours in bed.

School was nearing its end. Every week, there was at least one class where I had a test that day. Brock and I spent less time together. He had to study for his tests, and I for mine.

In just a little over a week, I had another session with Dr. Weinstock. Thinking about trying to explain how I felt to her made it worse. I had no desire to spend time with anyone, the stress of school combined with Brock's constant mood-swings finally taking its toll. All the doubts people had planted in my head about us played on a constant loop.

"Where do you want to go?" Zoe pulled me back to her car. "How about the bookstore? Would that make you feel better?"

I tried to force another smile. "It's been so long since I last stepped foot in a bookstore."

"Then it's a good thing we're going, isn't it?"

The same male employee greeted us when we stepped foot in the store. His tawny brown hair looked more disheveled than usual, his blue eyes always shining with mischief. I snuck a glance at his name tag. Roland.