Chapter Fourteen

"Storms make trees take deeper roots."

For the rest of the week, neither Brock nor I talked about him showing me his scars. It seemed he was starting to get better again. As if revealing such a heavy burden had lightened his load, if just a little.

Before I knew it, another week had passed by. We were entering our finals weeks. Two weeks without classes, with plenty of time to study for the one test that mattered above all. I couldn't concentrate as much as I would've liked, always worrying about Brock. He spent nearly everyday at my house, since we had two classes together to study for. They were the only courses with finals we had during the first semester.

We hadn't kissed since he showed me his self-harm scars and cuts. And, try as I may to convince myself our lack of intimacy didn't bother me, it did. But I knew Brock wasn't ready for it yet. Taking our time was the most important thing. I respected that.

Early Saturday morning, nearly two weeks after the events of Brock's reveal and my breakdown, my phone went off. It was Zoe. I hesitated a moment before clicking accept.

"Hello?"

Zoe's grin could be heard in her tone. "Claire! Are you still coming with us? We're planning on spending the whole day shopping! That okay with you?"

Shopping had never been my forte. Picking out an outfit that didn't make me look like a total fashion disaster was hard enough some days. Still, it seemed like a better option than sulking around the house for the entire weekend.

"Yeah, I'm coming," I said. "I'll get ready now."

"Great!" said Zoe. "Oh, and you can't bring Brock. The dress should be kept a secret until prom. It's bad luck for your date to see you before then."

My eyebrows drew together as my face contorted into an expression of confusion. "I thought that was just for a bride and groom?"

"Nope!" she said, popping the last two letters. "Well, okay, maybe it is. But not to me."

The nonchalance of the conversation made part of me yearn for our old friendship. As dysfunctional as it could be at times, I still knew that Zoe cared about me a lot. And I for her.

"One more thing. Have you considered trying out contacts again? I know you've been traumatized from that one incident, but I really think you should give them another try! Those frames hide too much of your pretty face."

I laughed, sliding out of bed, slipping said frames onto my face. "I'm fine with wearing glasses, thank you very much."

Zoe huffed on the other side of the line. "Please? I want to see you without them for once."

"We'll see." The door for my bedroom creaked open as I started down the hall. "What time do you plan on coming over? So I can get ready in time."

"Give or take, an hour. I can't wait to catch up! It's been so long!" The excitement faded, replaced by a more worrisome tone. "How's Brock been doing?"

It meant a lot to me that Zoe cared enough to ask. I sighed, searching for a quick breakfast. "He's been better lately. I think it helps when he's around people."

"And how about you?"

I paused, holding a box of cereal out in front of me. "I've been good. Thanks for asking."