Solidarity // Hardzzellee

TW; Main character has been diagnosed with Cancer

Ben, Gwil and Joe were sitting on the couch waiting for their son, Jonathan, to arrive from school. Currently, he was in his fourth year of high school. At the beginning of the school year, he had been selected as one of the members of the football team. For the first three months, he had been the star of the team. He was doing good at school. From the start, he had been one of the popular kids at school. Jonathan had always been social. Everyone in his classes liked him because he was nice to each one of them, even the social outcasts. He wasn't bad looking either. A few years ago he had grown out his blonde hair that now reached way past his shoulders. Gwil never liked long hair on guys, but Jonathan got away with it. It helped that Jonathan really liked his long hair and that he took very good care of it.

Everything seemed fine, until two months ago. Jonathan started to get more and more tired. At one point, he barely had enough energy to complete an entire school day. Besides that, he started to get bruises from the smallest bumps. Being the concerned parents they were, they took him to the doctor's office. Without a word about what was going on, they were rushed to the hospital. That is when they got the news that Jonathan had leukaemia, a form of cancer. Their lives haven't been the same since. Jonathan had to undergo intense chemotherapy. He was slowly starting to lose his hair. Today was the day they decided that they were going to shave it.  Jonathan begged them to let him go to school with his long hair one more time. He didn't have the energy to be at school an entire day. So, he went to his two favourite subjects; history and economics.

When Jonathan walked through the door he had a broad smile on his face.
"Hey, honey. How was school?" Joe asked. Jonathan put his backpack down.
"It was good. Nice to see everyone again. Bloody exhausted, though," He said.
"Do you want to lie down first? Or do you want to get it over with?" Ben asked. 
"Let's get this over with. The faster the better," Jonathan said. He stood up from the couch and immediately froze.
"Dizzy?" Gwil asked. Jonathan nodded. Gwil placed a hand on his lower back just in case. Jonathan got hit with extreme forms of dizziness every now and then. He has lost his balance more than once, but in the past few weeks, he had managed to control himself enough that he would stay upright.

When they arrived in the bathroom, Jonathan set up his phone.
"I want to film it. It's a great memory for later," He said. Ben felt tears welling up in his eyes. No matter how difficult the situation was and no matter how dark it got, Jonathan always managed to stay positive. He was convinced he was going to get through this, no matter how mad some of the test results were.
"I am first going to put your hair in a ponytail and cut that off. That way, it makes it easier to shave," Gwil said. Jonathan nodded. While Gwil put his hair in a ponytail, he couldn't help but compare the amount of hair to that of a few months back. In some places, he could see the scalp because most of the hair had fallen out. 

"Are you ready?" Gwil asked. Jonathan took a deep breath.
"I am ready," Gwil put the scissors to work. In no time he held out the ponytail in front of Jonathan. 
"This is crazy. It's been so long since I've had short hair," Jonathan said while turning his head to look in the mirror. Gwil put the right clippers on the razor before turning it on. He met Jonathan's eyes through the mirror. Jonathan gave him a short nod and Gwil started to shave. 

When they were halfway through, Ben grabbed the clippers from Gwil. In one clean sweep, he pushed it over his own head. He did another few strokes to get most of his hair off his head. Jonathan brought his hand to his mouth when Gwil did the same thing followed by Joe.
"If you are going to have to walk around with short hair, so are we," Ben said. Tears rolled down Jonathan's face while he got up from the chair. He wrapped his arms around Ben the first chance he got.
"You guys shouldn't have done that," Jonathan said in between sobs.
"We are with you, sweetheart. And we are going to get through this together. That was the promise, remember?" Ben said. Jonathan nodded.
"I love you, dad," Jonathan said. Ben swallowed hard before placing a kiss on Jonathan's head.
"I know. I love you too. More than you'll ever know."